Forum    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » CAMPFIRE CHAT

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:45 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Just curious of the average shooting distance from stand to feeder. Some hunt in woods, some in semi-wooded areas, and some in wide open pastureland. Many variables, of course, but would like to hear about your set up(s) and what guns you use.

As for me, I hunt in the woods mostly, where 60 yards will usually be the longest shot. I use a 35 Whelen - scent, of course, at this short distance becomes a major factor. I know that those shooting longer distances will shoot a flatter trajectory bullet and not have to worry so much about wind direction.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:56 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Hi Troyo, I usually dig holes with hole diggers and pour corn in about 2’ deep with some spread out at 100yds & 200yds. The bears will eat some but don’t dig like the hogs do, so this works well for me. Currently I don’t have a flash hider but am in the process of getting one, which will help at night. If the wind blows towards the hog trails leading in they won’t show unless I use the heater. Scent going towards the bait will stop the hogs coming in at 200 yds where I hunt.
Good hunting!

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:36 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Last visit to check cams had multiple pics of a bachelor group of 8 young boars, sow with piglets, one razor back boar about 150 lbs. There’s an area on our dirt road that appears to be an intersection with these hogs going thru. There’s no stand there but I can sit in the cart on any wind direction and view this area. Atvs and trucks use this road/trail as well as loggers. I’m going to set up here and dig bait holes to kill some of those hogs. Would be an ideal spot for that 35 Whelen. I’ll take the BAR and 12 Ga Auto 5. Maybe thin some hogs here. Shooting distance at this spot could be 75 yds max & min 25 yds.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:16 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

I'm seeing LOTS of hog sign lately but I am turning the feeders off, they will not come to either feeder and I am tired of feeding deer and raccoons. Hogs root all around within yards of feeder but when I go I never see any and my last camera went on the blink. I shower beforre going hunting but maybe they still smell me, or, maybe they stir late after mid-night - presently trying new stand locations - haven't killed a hog in over a month this is insane!

Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:55 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Hunted the intersection twice, saw 2 deer, no hogs. I think we are at the edge of the hogs travel area. I’m sure that’ll change soon when the population expands.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:29 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Ronnie wrote:
Hunted the intersection twice, saw 2 deer, no hogs. I think we are at the edge of the hogs travel area. I’m sure that’ll change soon when the population expands.
I am seeing a LOT of baby and medium size pig tracks - haven't read about the survival rate but if they all make it there will be hogs galore! I've found a track a good 2.5" wide so I'm sure he's a 300 pounder - hope I can get him!

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:53 am 
SILVER
SILVER

troyo wrote:
I shower before going hunting but maybe they still smell me

I am not an expert on this subject, but I would not and do not shower before going hunting. They are sure to smell the soap that you use in the shower.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:59 am 
SILVER
SILVER

troyo wrote:
Just curious of the average shooting distance from stand to feeder. Some hunt in woods, some in semi-wooded areas, and some in wide open pastureland. Many variables, of course, but would like to hear about your set up(s) and what guns you use.

I hunt from a ground level stand, shooting slightly down hill, across open hay field. I use a pig pipe to keep the hogs in the target or kill zone. The distance from my stand to the pig pipe is 75 yards. Because I am shooting across an open hay field, I have a berm behind the kill zone to stop any stray shots. I use TexasBoar feeder lights, red spotlight and shoot a 30-30 with scope.

[ 8 posts ] 

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » CAMPFIRE CHAT