Forum    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » ANTLERS HORNS and FUR

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Coyote question
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:19 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Does anyone have any information about determining the population of coyotes in an urban environment ? Here in Longview, Tx, we've got city folks seeing coyotes in town around some nice neighborhoods. There's also a lot of small pets listed as missing in a new "Neighbors" forum that's becoming popular with the residents ( which might be amplifying the sightings and missing pets.) ( The local TV stations have also done fluff pieces on the coyote sightings of late.) I'm looking for facts and suggestions to make. Yes, our city allows the use of a firearm to protect people and property; however, I'd really like to Not see any of these folks try to hit anything with a firearm... I suspect that live trapping would be the best solution. However, the city doesn't have trappers on staff; and, even a web search for coyote control doesn't give a good option. I also can't find any information on coyote control in the suburbs or cities, how to determine their population, or if they are a problem, do you remove the whole pack or just a certain number/ %. Looking thru Tx A&M online pubs, should be the state's data source, I haven't found anything that is pertinent. We also have bobcats in town as well and no way to determine what has happened to "disappeared" pets. I appreciate any ideas or thoughts you might have on this...

Semper Fi,

Tom

Post subject: Re: Coyote question
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:19 am 
SILVER
SILVER

I would suggest that you contact the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and the Texas AgriLife Extension Service office there in Gregg County. That would be my starting point for ideas for this problem.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:40 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Tnx, Fred,

The city animal control has already contacted the State's wildlife control in San Antonio as listed on the TPWL pages. Not a whole lot from them yet.

Does anyone know if coyotes will howl at sirens? We have storm warning sirens and if they do, it might allow triangulation of their location.) Just thinking...

Semper Fi,

Tom

Post Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:42 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

The missing pets are likely coyote poo now. Or bobcat poo. I know of no way to know their population other than sightings. My suggestion would be snares. Coyotes need safe spaces to den, and rear pups. Places like old salvage yards, old abandoned railroad areas, abandoned houses, anyplace humans overlook or ignore daily. The yotes and cats will be mostly nocturnal. However a little scouting around areas I’ve mentioned will reveal dung, tracks and perhaps a few pieces of left over pets.

Once you find a few areas like I’ve mentioned snares are the way to catch them alive. Once caught they can be either killed or relocated to a more appropriate area. We had this same issue on Galveston island when I lived there. And we have the same problem in Santa Fe, where I live now. In fact, I lost a dog to coyote attack shortly after we moved here.

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:45 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

I knew a guy once that used 22 caliber CB caps to limit those canines inside greater Atl yo protect his bird dogs when in heat.

[ 5 posts ] 

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » ANTLERS HORNS and FUR