Forum    FAQ

Board index » GUNSnAMMO RELOADING OPTICS TRAILCAMS VIDEOS » GENERAL GUNS AND LOADS

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Foam case cause rust?
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:54 am 

When I purchasing my new/used 870 I was looking for a case to store it in at home. I dont have the money for a huge refrigerator safe, im waiting till I own a house for that one. The guy at the gun store told me to try not to do long term storage in the foam cases because they can over time cause the weapon to rust. Is this true?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:01 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

Yes, foam cases can cause rust. What happens is that generally the foam cases have vinyl or pvc covers on them, ostensibly to keep out moisture and rain during transport of the weapon. The problem is that those same membranes will cause condensation inside the case when closed up over time due to temperature changes. This condensation inside the case is what causes the rust over time.

You can help prevent rust on your firearms several ways. First, keep a light coat of oil on your guns metal surfaces and inside the bore and action. Second, use a case with a cordura, or clothe exterior, and a soft clothe interior. The cloth will allow the case to breath, and not trap moisture inside the case. Third, use a cloth gun sleeve. You can buy these at Academy or Cabela’s. The gun sleeve can be treated with silicon or gun oils.

I’ve lived on the Texas gulf coast for 37yrs. And, I’ve been fighting rust on guns that whole time. Moisture is the enemy. Oils, silicons, gun lubes are your friends. I keep several cloths soaked in gun oil, and once or twice a month I wipe all my guns down with the oily rags. It keeps all my guns rust free.

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

[ 2 posts ] 

Board index » GUNSnAMMO RELOADING OPTICS TRAILCAMS VIDEOS » GENERAL GUNS AND LOADS