Forum    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » FINS and FEATHERS

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising.

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:38 am 

I have been told the best deer attractant available is to take plastic jar of peanut butter and screw the lid to a tree with a couple of screws. Then take the jar and cut the bottom out of it and screw the jar back on the lid. If it is hot to cut the jar in such a manner that the juice would not run out and the deer can still lick the contents.

Anyone ever try this? Does it work?

Thanks for your answers.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:38 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

I’ve never tried it, but I’ve heard it works. Try it and let us know how well it works.

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:51 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

I know that peanut butter works good for racoons.... I've never heard of it being used as a deer attractant before, tho. I'm sure a deer would eat peanuts; but, it's a root crop that most deer probably wouldn't know. However, it might make some of them curious... Many years ago, I was stationed at M.C.A.S. Yuma, Az. I hunted quite a bit while there and hung out in the civilian gun shops a lot as well. The term "best deer attractant" reminds me of a conversation I had in town with a then middle aged Yuma Indian who was locally known as a great deer hunter.

I started the conversation off by asking him which caliber rifle he preferred for hunting deer. He told me that he normally used a .22 LR rifle; but, he felt that the long rifle rimfire round was a usually overpowered for his hunting likes... Now, like most folks, I grew up shooting the .22 LR cartridge and knew that most states and hunters felt that the .22 LR was way underpowered for any type of deer hunting. I had been in Yuma thru a deer hunting season and had seen that there were 3 basic ways to hunt deer there: (1) Use an ATV to drive deer past stand shooters. (Not very sporting.) (2) Hunt the mesquite clumps in the washes coming from the foothills. (3) Climbing up the mountains (foothills) and glassing the areas for deer on the hillsides and lower hiding points (while photographing the Bighorn Sheep on the higher reaches of mountains. I asked him why he thought the .22 LR might be overpowered.

In a matter-of-fact tone, he told me that he hunted on his reservation and that most of his shots ranged from 5 feet all the way out to 15 feet. He said that he normally shot the buck in the junction of the neck to the skull or made a high neck shot, either of which severed the spine. Well, husth my mouth and call me a 'City Boy' as I couldn't imagine getting that close to a deer in the areas out there. I asked him how in the world he could get that close to a wild deer in SW Arizona.

The man told me that he set up a blind by a local watering hole and set out the 'best deer attractant' he knew of... He said that the bucks came to the watering hole to drink. He said he built his hunting blind, preferably slightly elevated, near the watering hole slightly up wind of the water. The 'attractant' was placed just outside of the hunting blind where the scent was carried to the watering hole. He said that if a buck was in rut or entering rut that they would usually come over to examine the 'attractant.' He would decide if he wanted the buck, and, if so, shot it. This Indian hunter then told me that this was an old Indian technique that had been used back before white men had come to the area.

This was getting interesting and I could imagine the Indians of days gone by shooting deer with their bow and arrows at 10 feet, so I asked for more... I asked him if he'd share what his 'best deer attractant' was with me. He simply stated that it was a 'freshly used absorbent feminine hygiene product.' He said the scent, (pheromones ?) was close enough to a doe-in-heat as to confuse a buck and that they would come investigate the source of the smell. I've never tried this ; but, over the years, I've read stories where women have been attacked by bucks in rut as well as elk bulls attacking women. There may be some truth to this as well...

Semper Fi,

Tom

Post Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:38 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

I used that fresh feminine scent with unscented napkins and the Indian is right, they do work!! Never had deer spook as long as it was unscented. Great story!! You do need the right setup like the Indian did. I don’t have access to those napkins anymore, but if you do it try it.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:43 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

BTW, Gene Wensel stated those napkins are the best Buck Lure in his book “Hunting Rutting Whitetails”! I’ve found everything in his book to be true, including where & how the biggest bucks use the terrain for bedding cover, bedding down where they can watch their backtrail with wind at their back. Almost impossible to approach them when the buck is on a permanent bedding site. Each site is for a different wind direction. His book is must reading if you want to understand the real big bucks and why they usually die of old age. When that buck leaves his bed he travels with the wind at his back, he’s been watching his backtrail & he knows it’s safe for aways, he only moves when the air starts cooling the last hour of light. He’ll also be on that bed 30 mins before pink light. Goodluck and good-hunting!

[ 5 posts ] 

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » FINS and FEATHERS