Forum    FAQ

Board index » WILDBOAR HUNTING AND TRAPPING » WILDBOAR HUNTING TIPS AND TACTICS

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Public hunting
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:59 am 

Hey guys, so im super new to hunting. Ive been on one hunt so far with a friend of mine on private leased land, but i now want to get out there my self and start hunting. I have been looking into hunting on public land so i can atleast gain experiance before investing alot of time and money into my own land. I was just wondering how does hunting on public land work? Do i just go out there and stalk hogs and land until see one? ( i know you must have the APH and a valid hunting license). If i do see a hog how must i shoot? do i need to make sure that my gun is more angled to the ground? I am still very unfamiliar with hunting so any input and help would be greatly appretiated!

Post subject: Re: Public hunting
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:24 am 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

Welcome to Texasboars! Public land hunting can be very rewarding. The first thing you’ll need is the APH lands map booklet. Each area has its own set of regulations. Some allow baiting. Some don’t. None that I’m aware of allow night time hunting. Once you decide on an area you’ll need to get out there and do some scouting. Find where the hogs are traveling. Find bedding areas. Find what they’re feeding on. Find pinch points along their travel routes where they can be ambushed. Find ways to enter your hunting setup so the hogs won’t detect you. Think about the wind direction. If a hog smells you, you’ll never see them.

On most public land hunts you may use portable stands. Typically they must be moved every 72hrs. Use a gps to mark stand location. Do NOT use ribbons, glow tacs or any other visible means to mark the trail. If you do, you’ll have other hunters move in on you. Use your gps to mark your stand, and way points along your route in. That way your stand should stay secret. Keep in mind there are tons of thieves on public land. So leaving a stand in the woods is a big risk. A climber that you carry in is probably the safest.

As for weapons, each area is different. Some allow rifles year round. Some don’t. Some it’s bow hunting only. Some allow shotguns and bows. Some muzzle loaders. It varies area to area, and season to season. So check the refs in the APH map book carefully.

As for shot placement, hogs can be tough critters. With a bow I like to have them quartering slightly away. Then I’ll hit them in the lower third of their body so that the arrow enters and passes through their heart and lungs. Do not aim behind the shoulder as you will likely gut shoot the hog and lose him. With a rifle I like the same quarter away shot. Or I like a heart shot. A hogs heart is a bit low in the body and is protected. I like having the near front leg forward when I shoot, and I place the bullet or arrow in the pocket. With a hog you have to take out the heart lungs, or the central nervous system. So, I also like shots to the base of the ear on a broadside hog. And any shot that takes out the spine. A shot in the upper part of the shoulder on a broadside hog will usually take out both shoulders and the spine if you use a good caliber in the .308 class or better. You may hear folks say all you need is a .223 or 5.56. And you can kill hogs with that caliber. I’ve done it many times, but it’s not ideal. A .233/5.56 is marginal at best, and requires good shot placement with good bullets like Barnes TSX.

Let me know what areas you’re interested in. I may have info on them. I’ve hunted public ground a time or two.

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:01 pm 

Marty thank you for that that was tons of really important info you put and i really appretiate it! So my place i was thinking about was either sam houston national forest or sabine river. It were the only 2 that i saw that were a reasonable length away (for now) and that atleast feral hog is open almost year around. Any insight on those? And say i dont get a stand and i able to just dtock hubt or would that be a waste of time for me (for feral hog)? And last big question is as far as gettjng i to the hunting grounds and acctually killing and stowing the meat. When i get there do i need to chrck in somewhere or do i just park my car somewhere and just walk into the land? And once animal is shot do i need to field dress and stow away on the spot and go straight back to the vehicle? Or again do i need to check it in somewhere?
Exuse all the misspelling

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:52 am 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

Spot and stalk hunting can be done, but in most places you’re far better off finding an ambush point. Find a food source and trails to and from that food source. Find bedding areas and the trails out of their bedding areas. Set up an ambush at a pinch point somewhere on their travel route. It’s best to be elevated. Being elevated does two things. It makes it easier to see down into brush, and it helps keep your scent up away from their noses.

I’m familiar with the Sam Houston National Forrest. And I’ve done some hunting at Alaskan Bayou. Right now it’s deer season. So walking around to scout would probably piss off a bunch of the local deer hunters. I know a couple specific spots in the SAM that used to be dang good for hogs. Back when they allowed hog dogging there we slayed a bunch of really big hogs in there.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:56 am 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

With hog hunting in the Sam there is no need to check your hog in. Most folks just field dress it. Then take it to camp and skin and quarter it, and put it on ice. At the Sam there are some nice hunters camps. A couple even have skinning racks to skin and quarter game on. We used to bring tents and camp out. Fun times.

[ 5 posts ] 

Board index » WILDBOAR HUNTING AND TRAPPING » WILDBOAR HUNTING TIPS AND TACTICS