Forum    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » CAMPFIRE CHAT

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:43 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

(Ronnie, LOL, your comments on piglets reminded me of one of my first 'pig' hunts with my sons.)

We were hunting a 50 acre tract with 5 year old regrowth basically surrounded by a neighbor's nice cattle ranch back around 1990. The neighbor had nice green fields surrounded by patches of pines and hardwoods while we had 8~ 10 foot high growths of mostly trash- but, it could be cover and/ or bedding... The tract was called 'Peckerwood Flats" due to the woodpeckers in the area. We got permission to hunt Peckerwood Flats in late August after school had started so time was limited. We bought some 'critical use' lumber and disassemble pallets for the wooden stands each boy would build. I bought a heavy duty 'weed eater' and got a cutting head that would cut thru the weeds and saplings growing in the old roads. We worked on Saturdays to get ready for the start of archery season. The boys built their stands and I cleared a clear trail on the old dirt road passing about 20~ 25 feet from their stands. As we left the area after each workday, the boys put 25 lbs of corn on the ground at their preferred shooting spots. ( I didn't have 2 extra feeders for this project.) By the 2nd weekend, I was using a chainsaw on the trail and the boys found tracks around the corn pile locations. The boys got excited about having the chance to get their first archery deer.

Opening day for archery-only deer arrived... Early to bed and early to rise, opening day found us on Peckerwood Flats about an hour before daylight. The boys had their bows and I had a .22 LR revolver and a big thermos of coffee. We headed to their stands... About 2/3 of the way down the trail, to our immediate front, we heard a loud snort or 'huff,' and a large animal moved thru the thick growth away from us... We quietly flashlighted our way to the site of the commotion and found almost-my-hand sized tracks running thru the old barbed wire fence that separated Peckerwood Flats from the nice surrounding ranch. I got a good track to look at and it wasn't a deer.... It looked like a big feeder hogs' track... Strange, we didn't really have swine running around this area before... The boys put out their corn before daylight and we watched birds eating corn until about 2 p.m.

We stopped by Jack's place on the way home. Jack's store sells guns, ammo, reloading supplies and heard a lot of stories on what's happening and where. I picked up some primers and a box or 2 of bullets there and was letting the boys tell Jack about the strange 'critter' we almost ran into that morning. When the boys finished their commentary, I told Jack about the size of the track and that I thought somebody had lost a hog. About this time, two men in their 30s mosied over and introduced themselves. They were brothers who were originally from Arkansas who were auto mechanics. They also said they raised and trained 'hog dogs' and were wondering if I might be able to take them out to Peckerwoods Flats as they would like to get rid of that hog so my boys could deer hunt. :) After we finished shopping, we followed them to their place and met their dogs and checked out their training pen. They said their dogs did not chase deer or cows and were famer/ ranch safe. We also met their families briefly... I contacted the Peckerwood Flats owner and he said to give the dogs a chance. I called the brothers back and we scheduled the hunt the following Saturday for hogs.

We met at the store in Simpsonville, ( yes, the only store there,) and I led them to the Peckerwood Flats property. I hadn't been able to clear a parking area; but, the sand road onto the property was an easement thru the cattle ranch and had no traffic so it made a great parking lot. My younger son was 'doing things' with his friends and not on this hunt, my older son was carrying my 30-06 and I was toting my .45 ACP Colt 1911 and a big VHS camera. ( I wanted to film a hog if we saw one.) The two brother were there and had 2 more friends. The youngest was about 22-ish. One of the brothers had a youth 20 ga youth single shot shotgun and said they usually knifed the pigs and the 20 ga was all the backup they ever needed. As the group got closer to the gate to enter Peckerwood Flats, we saw a group of latino cowboys with shovels who appeared to be putting dirt back in a roughly plowed area... Their 'supervisor' hollered and waved and we stopped to chat. Looking at the dogs, he asked if we were going squirrel hunting. I told him that I thought we'd run into some wild pig and it was messing up the boys bow hunting for deer. One of the brothers told him that the dogs wouldn't chase or mess with cows or deer at this point in the conversation. The work crew supervisor pointed at the working crew and said that the damage was from pigs/ hogs and they would spend the day leveling, discking, dragging and replanting the grass the swine had messed up the night before. He said that he would appreciate it if we killed every wild pig in the area and if the pigs crossed onto the nice ranch, Please follow them onto their ranch and kill all we could. ( I was kinda' shocked as I didn't realize we had hogs to hunt until now.) I took the hog hunters to the spot where our 'critter' had torn down the fence. The ranch workers had rebuilt the fence during the week. It hadn't rained and I found a few tracks to show them. First they confirmed that they were hog tracks and got excited. Then, they got quiet... I asked if they could guess it's size from the tracks. The older brother said something about a big 'some witch' and was bigger than anything he'd ever tracked so, he guessed it was over 300 pounds... They had brought 3 small, ( under knee high hounds,) chase dogs and a catch dog... The older brother, who wasn't carrying their 20 ga single shot, and asked my son to stay next to him during the hunt... The dogs were wearing cut collars and vests.

I learned all the land features of Peckerwood Flats that morning. There was an intermittent creek in the back I was unaware of being there. There was a small wallow on the creek where the dogs found some 'football' sized piglets that they killed before we could get there. The small brown female seemed to 'tree' by a house sized large green bush. As we approached, the 22-ish year old said there was a game trail into the brush. I got over by him outside the bush and he started walking down the game trail into that giant ball. The brothers grabbed their chase dogs and joined me as we waited.

The lad yelled out that the game trail opened up a bit, then he had to bend over to go deeper. He yelled that there was a small clearing in the middle and there was the cutest multicolored piglet he'd ever seen. He said that he had a toe sack, ( a burlap feed sack) and was going to catch the piglet by a hind leg and put it in the sack to take it back to the brothers' homestead. We then listened to about 5 minutes of that little piglet squealing accompanied some truly Southern swearing. He then announced that he had it by a back leg and was going to bring it out by the leg so I could get a video of the the piglet being put into the toe sack. We think he had just got past the area where he had to bend over when he yelled that he had dropped the piglet. There was some more squealing and louder squealing. We heard more profanity as the 6 foot plus tall, cowboy boot wearing human hog catcher grabbed for the baby pig. ( I started recording with my camera...) After a few more hoots and a hollers, the 22 year old man started screaming even louder, "It's attacking me! It's attacking me! It's attacking me! " More piglet squeaks and sounds... "OMG, it's attacking me !! It's a Russian boar baby !! It's a Russian baby boar !!" After a few more squeaks and squeals, the cutest baby pink, grey and white piglet came trotting out of the entrance to that big ole' bush... I was still taping the video and zoomed in on the football sized piglet as it turned right and defiantly trotted off into the woods.... The brothers held back their dogs... That piglet had won it's freedom for the time being... The 6 foot tall, 200+ pound young man walked out of the bush with a red face as we tried to contain our laughter... The young man looked at me, I'm still recording, and said, "I think you have the Russian bloodline out here. I've never heard of such a small vicious pig unless it's a Russian." He was wearing his blue jeans outside of his boots and pointed down at one leg's lower seam and said, "See that tear in the seem ? That Russian baby did that." Everybody started laughing and I stopped recording... When the laughter settled down a bit, one of the brothers asked the young man what he was going to do if we found the Daddy hog that was going to be over 300 pounds. The young man said it was getting late, almost 2 p.m., and he had to go as he had a date later that evening and had to leave now... We didn't laugh again until he was probably back on the sand road parking lot. :)

We didn't find that big hog or even an adult. I suspect that the pigs had moved onto the ranch property. One of the chase dogs came back with fresh blood on it's face, so I suspect she had doubled back and had eliminated the hero piglet. The brothers went to talk to the 'supervisor' to find out who to see to get permission to hog dog hunt the ranch. We bow hunted hard that year; but, neither of my sons got their first archery deer there. I picked up a Ridgeback for free later on that winter and paid the brothers to train it on hogs for 3 months. ( We used to go to the hog dog contests on the weekends down in Carthage back then to watch the dogs work.) After the Ridgeback not getting into hunting in 3 months, I traded him and some cash for one of the brothers' experienced dogs, a sweet pit/ hound girl named Sally. We never took her on a solo dog pig hunt even tho we bought her the protective gear. The kids turned her into a house dog and she took up hunting squirrels and racoons and did a good job with that... :lol:

Semper Fi,

Tom

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:33 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Omg! That’s great reading! One bad piglet...
I’ve killed 3 Razorback looking hogs that look Russian.
I’ve got an update on my rifles that I’ll post next week after I shoot.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:37 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

All the piglets that had lost their spots survived. 3 of 4 very small spotted piglets never showed back up, hoping predators got them. The one survivor was killed by me with 2 of the other larger piglets (now about 50 lbs) that were survivors left for the predators. For the last several weeks there is the one small sow that appears pregnant traveling with a boar about the same size. I believe these are the last 2 that I left for predators. All in all I’ve taken 53 hogs this year with 2 to go. I’m sure there will be more. I really want to thank everyone for the advice, postings on this forum... this wouldn’t have been possible without the Texasboars feeder lights.
God Bless and Good hunting!

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:31 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:30 am 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

Glad we could help. And it sounds like you’ve got a system down that’s working for you. It’s awesome when a plan works!!

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

[ 5 posts ] 

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » CAMPFIRE CHAT