Forum    FAQ

Board index » WILDBOAR HUNTING AND TRAPPING » WILDBOAR HUNTING TIPS AND TACTICS

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:41 am 
SILVER
SILVER

It seems to me, that when it is very hot in the middle of the summer, it may be best to try stalking during the day. Then, you can quietly move around, using the wind direction. Usually it's the sows and pigs that you find feeding, and can slip up within range for a shot. At night, from a stand in the woods with limited range around the feeder, the boars will circle, and catch your scent and run off. This doesn't apply to those who hunt open fields 200 yards away where scent isn't a factor. What do y'all find is the best way to hunt hogs in the summer heat?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:33 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

I usually put out 25 lbs corn in 2-3 spots (holes dug with hole diggers) then hunt that aftn or the next aftn. I usually have hogs on cam after putting out 1/2 bag of corn & the hogs are checking regularly for more corn. There’s a drainage running alongside my 200 yd long plot. I can’t explain it, but they come. I haven’t hunted since my father-in-law passed away Thursday July 25th. For me, August is prime hog hunting for me because they come in to the corn and fill up on it. I need to get them before the Sawtooth oaks start dropping acorns in mid Sept, as they will target the acorns. My question would be “is there enough corn on the ground to draw and hold the hog(s).” Someone else maybe offering more food within their range. Just what works for me & my observations. Come 1st week of Sept I’ll plant some peas and as soon as it rains the hogs will come in and eat every pea day and night unless I kill em. The rain must let the hogs smell the peas under the dirt.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:02 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Ronnie wrote:
I usually put out 25 lbs corn in 2-3 spots (holes dug with hole diggers) then hunt that aftn or the next aftn. I usually have hogs on cam after putting out 1/2 bag of corn & the hogs are checking regularly for more corn. There’s a drainage running alongside my 200 yd long plot. I can’t explain it, but they come. I haven’t hunted since my father-in-law passed away Thursday July 25th. For me, August is prime hog hunting for me because they come in to the corn and fill up on it. I need to get them before the Sawtooth oaks start dropping acorns in mid Sept, as they will target the acorns. My question would be “is there enough corn on the ground to draw and hold the hog(s).” Someone else maybe offering more food within their range. Just what works for me & my observations. Come 1st week of Sept I’ll plant some peas and as soon as it rains the hogs will come in and eat every pea day and night unless I kill em. The rain must let the hogs smell the peas under the dirt.

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law's passing - my prayers for the family! Insofar as the hogs, I set my feeder to about 12 seconds at 8 p.m. Problem is about 15 raccoons immediately show up and eat the corn so nothing left for hogs that come later. I/ve located a big hog (by size of his track) but will have to walk a ways to get to him and will be all sweaty by time I get there so almost no use trying.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:28 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Thank you... he’s in a better place now. Hope you get a chance at that big hog. Placed corn out last weekend after church & will place more today or tomorrow, hopefully the hogs will come in. For some reason a few smaller hogs are showing in daytime. Did see one large hog track on our main access road. Hope to get these soon. I’ve not had raccoons dig more than a few inches going after corn placed 2’ depth... but you may since those coons are hungry. A bump tire or pipe might keep the corn longer so the raccoons don’t get it all. Goodluck!!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:21 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Thanks - I have a perforated pipe may use it - got a small 65 lb boar last nite 5 mins before i was gonna leave lol - he was very cautious, came in, ran to thicket, & eased back in - saw him raise his head to sniff air thats when i knew i bettr pull trigger lol i was hot & sweating in this humidity - small but i take em all lol - hope u get that big one u saw his track

Post Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:12 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Congrats on the boar! Good hunting! I’ve got 2 groups of 4 pigs about 30-40 lbs. Hope to get these before they breed. Put out corn today, ran into 4when loading up today but no shot

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:59 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Getting too hot for me to hunt - last night sweating while sitting on stand - hottest air of season moving in with highs of 100 & low at night about 80 - no wind at night & swamp traps that hot, humid air. Only seeing small ones on camera now. Think bigger ones holed up somewhere in a slough so they don’t move around as much this time of year. Hope you get those smaller ones!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:00 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Only way I can stand this heat is my O2 cool fan, if it gets any hotter I’ll buy ice and run my portable A/C cooler. Works great but PITA climbing with it and 12volt battery. Can & do use it on cart when in the heat.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:01 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

O2 cool fan running! Just shot about 100lb sow leading 2 others. Hog # 42. Not seen these on cam before & they came in on a new trail. We are seeing a lot more deer traffic now that the hog traffic is down.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:30 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Yeah i need a fan - portable AC probably too much to fool with considering i hunt different places & distance to stands. Mosquitos a pesky problem - thermocells have ofor as does deet & citranella products - they’re bad here & i can’t find odorless mosquito control

[ 10 posts ] 

Board index » WILDBOAR HUNTING AND TRAPPING » WILDBOAR HUNTING TIPS AND TACTICS