Forum    FAQ

Board index » GUNSnAMMO RELOADING OPTICS TRAILCAMS VIDEOS » BOLT ACTION

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:33 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

The X bolt is free floated and bedded. Sorry left that out.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:10 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

When I worked at MCAS Yuma, Az, we enjoyed a free civilian gun range that had a rifle range out to 1,000 yards. I used a scope on my rifle and had a Weaver K3 (3X) and a K10 (10X) scopes. (Variable power scopes worth anything were beyond my pay level back then.) I decided to see what I could do with my '06 at 1k. The issue was elevation. My base was a Redfield 1 pc JR steel base and Redfield's Medium 1" steel rings. There was no elevation built in and the required elevation for 1k was beyond the K10's range. Commercial shims weren't available to me back then...

I went to the range on an off-duty day during the week and had the range to myself. I zeroed the elevation on the scope. I used 1 oz lead fishing weights (the type with lead 'ears' and the slit down the body,) my mini-anvil (8" railroad rail piece) and a 1/4" steel plate to hammer my own shims. I don't remember the heights (so I looked at my micrometer and looked at what gaps looked close.) I shimmed both front and rear as I didn't want the steel rings to dint the aluminum scope tube. The front shim was between 2 and 3 inches, 3/8" wide and apx .020~ .030 inches thick. (I cut the shims in half and put apx equal pieces under and above the scope tube in the rings.) The rear shim was a[x the same length and width; but, the thickness started off around 0.10". I spent the morning trying out rear shim thickness on a couple of rear shim attempts. (The lead will deform enough under pressure to keep the scope safe while adding angle.)

I finally got on paper. I had burned up a quarter tank + of gas driving back and forth to the butts area. (No spotting scope :) ) I claimed success and removed the shims and rezeroed the scope at 200 yds and was good to go out to 5oo yds. Just remember, I'm an advanced hobbyist, so don't try this at home without professional counseling :)

Semper Fi,

Tom

Post Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:06 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

I’m laughing so hard! That’s awesome!
I’m going to shim the rear base, may need your anvil!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:28 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Shot a sow about 50 lbs this aftn; tried for a pass thru shot into a larger sow. Hope it took her out as she will take over the group I’m sure. Took out the leader last week. I’ll be shimming the base in the rear to get scope somewhere near mechanical zero as soon as my shims come in Wed. If the shims don’t work out, may need Toms anvil. Once again after shooting it settled back to 1/4” clicks although it moved like 1/2 moa turrets. BTW, the GS3 optics are like a mil dot and it has windage dots! Good for leading a running hog! May not get to range till next week, but shimming the base is my best option I believe.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:17 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Congrats on the harvest. I guess you'll be teaching us how to kill 2 hogs with 1 bullet soon :)

Semper Fi,

Tom

Post Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:08 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Steiner really liked the shim on the Xbolt, shot a 5 shot 1/2” group with both 165 gr SST & Full Boar ammo. Scope moved in 1/4” clicks but only after 3-4 shots. The rough trail to my hunting area will be a real good test of holding zero. Will shoot again Tuesday when range opens. The Zeiss on the BAR had moved 4” down but windage was in line. After shooting the hog, it moved. Shooting it again Tuesday after riding trail with it. If it’s off, it goes back. The Full Boar ammo is a deep penetrating bullet advertised to have 95% weight retention. At some point I’ll get to try it on 2 hogs lined up.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:29 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Update: Didn’t like the shim but it worked to get the Steiner on target. Purchased a Demo Nightforce
3-10x42 illuminated reticle. Was within an inch of zero mounted with the DNZ Game-reaper Mount. Shot a 1/2” group with the 2 loads 165 SST & 165 Fullboar ammo. Took it to hunt loaded with SST for Deer, about 30 mins on stand 6 hogs come in. Switch to the Fullboar shooting 3 hogs lined up. Bullet went thru the 50 lb sow DRT exiting 3” below the spine with an exit hole about the size of my thumb shooting down hill about 220 yds. The 2nd in line about same size took a hit in the lungs. Not sure if the 3rd hog about 100 lbs felt anything but she stood there long enough to bolt another bullet & shoot her in the lungs while trotting away, definitely not full speed. Got confirmation on the 3 hogs dead the next aftn as I approached my stand, the other 3 were feeding in my plot on Chicory. Got in stand, as I put rifle up all I saw was a bear which had ran the hogs off. Really excited with the Fullboar ammo entering the spine and exiting with a thumb size hole with lots of blood. Went to range today after cleaning all copper and shot 1/4” group with the Fullboar & 165 SST, shot a 1/2” group with the 150 grain SST. DNZ says not to lap their rings, but I think the base may be bending somewhat so taking Marty’s advice, ordered a lapping kit and will make sure I’m getting solid contact to rings. Mounted the Steiner on BAR & mechanical zero put the bullet 4” left at 25 yds. I can’t imagine why the same scope was 4” low at 25yds on the Xbolt. My son wants the Steiner, will sell it to him & buy another Nightforce. I think I’ve finally figured out what’s going on after reading the Rockslide forum. They hunt rugged terrain & several members asked the major scope mfgs to make a fixed parallax scope that is somewhat economical & holds zero. It appears that Nightforce is the one that took it serious & made the SHV line of scopes. I’m really happy they listened! The folks on Rockslide forum say that the scope makers are catering to the millennials and their scopes won’t hold zero & I'm in agreement with those statements. My 1970’s Leupold is better than what they make now for holding zero in rugged terrain. I’d give $$$ to get a 3-9x40 Zeiss made in Germany again, it was on the BAR & would consistently shoot 1/2” groups at 200 yds. If I have to treat a scope with kid gloves I don’t want it, because by the time I get to hunt I won’t know where it will hit. This has not been a cheap learning experience but I have learned a lot in the last year and 1/2. 60 hogs on Timber Co land this year with a few more days to go. Thank you Tom & Marty! Merry Christmas & God Bless

Post Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:40 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Here’s a link to their post:
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads ... ost-969187

Post Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:40 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Merry Christmas, Ronnie,

It sounds like you've got things under control. You're making me feel old :) The last 'new' scope I bought was a Burris 3x9x40 in the late '90s. It got a home on a Rem 700 30-06 that my oldest got when I started splitting up the guns to keep the kids happy. In the mid-90s, the kids bought me a laminated mannlicher stocked Ruger 10/22. I picked up the rings and scope locally. I bought a Simmons Whitetail 1.5x4 and talked the dealer down to $125 for a Christmas deal. I put it on the 10/22 and zeroed it at 50 yds (1/2" groups of 5 rounds.) I had read about low power being good for moving targets, like squirrels, and up close critters. I took my youngest son and a friend squirrel hunting, they used 20 ga's while I carried the Ruger, and we'd walk and look for squirrels in the trees. I found that 1.5 power is low enough to use with both eyes open and made it easy to track running squirrels and make a head shot when they stopped. In 2000 I turned 50 and got trifocal eyeglasses. :( I also had another deer to harvest at 15 feet and was having trouble with a low power of 3x when walkinging up on a sounder at night and trying to find a pig in the scope while they ran all around me. One night, while eating on a 1/2 gallon of Blue Bell ice cream at home, I had an epiphany and pulled the 1.5x4 off the .22 and mounted it with some cheap aluminum low height Weaver wrap around rings to the '50 Marlin 30-30. ( That rifle likes Hornady Leverevolution 165 gr bullets and will group about 1.5 inches at 100 yds with that scope from the bench.) Now I will admit that my 2 boys are rough on gear. If I gave them a box of Q-Tips and a concrete brick, they'd have the brick in a dozen pieces or more within 24 hours. From 2000 to 2005, I was buying at least 2 sets of 2 or 3 walkie-talkies from Academy for use during family hunts. ) Rain, mud holes, creeks and dropped from stand all seemed to kill a radio. :( ) My oldest admitted to dropping the rifle 10 feet and seeing it land on the scope once and having it drop, bounce off the tree and onto the ground on the scope from about 15'. The scope still works and holds zero. I'm amazed and happy that a cheap scope in cheap rings is that good. I'm currently looking at the 1x6 and 1x8 scopes to put on the 30-30 and putting the Simmons back on the 10/22. If you haven't tried a 1x or 1.5x scope for up close and personal critters, give it a try sometime. :)

Semper Fi,

Tom

Post Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:59 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Hi Tom & Marty, hope y’all are well. Happy New Year!! I got the alignment BARS/lapping kit. After using the alignment bars they didn’t line up perfectly, so I moved the ring top halves around till they did. They lined up perfect as best as my vision could tell. Used feeler gauges to set x hair level. Everything looks good so I didn’t lap, the rear ring doesn’t have as much gap as before. DNZ instructions says to install one base screw at a time to make sure mount fits receiver w/o stress & there's no stress on the base. So lapping isn’t a thing I’d want to do with this mount. Sure looks like it’s better. LOL lots of rain and a 5 yr old grandchild BD party Sat here, may not shoot either gun till Monday.
Should have took Marty’s advice before mounting. Shoot straight & God Bless!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:52 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Well after seeing both Nightforce scopes not tracking well I decided to take Marty’s advice and lap the DNZ rings. Although both scopes tracked better they weren’t perfect but both the BAR & Xbolt both shot .25” groups at 100yds. I couldn’t believe that the rings were out of round as much as they were; there was very little material on the tops of the rings touching the scope. Today was very rewarding at the range, hitting with groups .25 MOA & seeing an old friend and meeting a couple of really good folks.
Thanks for all the help and advice!! God Bless!!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:54 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Forgot to mention, I got 2 more hogs with a pass thru shot, one sow & a larger boar with the Hornady Full Boar 165 grain factory Ammo. Sow DRT, Boar ran, 1 sow got away. Bar is 2” group with that ammo, Xbolt is 3/4” group with it. We haven’t seen any piglets since I killed those hogs. 62 hogs for 2019.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:11 am 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

Glad lapping the rings helped out Ronnie. Lapping rings and ensuring they line up properly is the first thing I do now when I’m mounting a scope into new rings.

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:23 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Nightforce rings & EGW HD rail= sight in on elevation and windage with one movement 17 clicks left & 16 clicks up moved to .5” low at 25 yds & 1.5” high at 100 both in line with target just below bullseye at 25 yds & the 1.5” above at 100 yds. Rail & rings fixed the turrets to adjust correctly which I could not get to work correctly with lapped DNZ rings & same issue prior to lapping.
Nightforce CS told me this would fix my issue!
Why is this so much better than with the other ring set up?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:16 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

The Rail & NF Rings held Zero on most trips down my really rough trail, but there was some movement. I read Forms post for scope mounting on the Rockslide forum. Only thing I didn’t follow his advice on was “spreading the rings as far as possible” on the scope. Now that has absolutely corrected the adjustment to 1/4” clicks. I now check my ring torque quite regularly after buying a bottle of 243 Locktite for dissimilar metals that never really set up with steel screws into the aluminum rings. I bought the same dissimilar metal type product Permatex Surface Insensitive Blue. One ring screw loosened then retightened & hasn't backed off since. Also, took the time to watch my guns swaying back and forth in my vertical gun rack on the cart, saw excessive swaying at times so I added a horizontal angle brace to the gun rack that stopped the swaying, now the guns aren't shaking over the rough terrain, just bouncing around like me. This seems excessive but I attest everything he says is true. Here’s the link to Form’s post:
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads ... ero.78482/

[ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » GUNSnAMMO RELOADING OPTICS TRAILCAMS VIDEOS » BOLT ACTION