Forum    FAQ

Board index » GUNSnAMMO RELOADING OPTICS TRAILCAMS VIDEOS » BOLT ACTION

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:33 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

The X bolt is free floated and bedded. Sorry left that out.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:10 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

When I worked at MCAS Yuma, Az, we enjoyed a free civilian gun range that had a rifle range out to 1,000 yards. I used a scope on my rifle and had a Weaver K3 (3X) and a K10 (10X) scopes. (Variable power scopes worth anything were beyond my pay level back then.) I decided to see what I could do with my '06 at 1k. The issue was elevation. My base was a Redfield 1 pc JR steel base and Redfield's Medium 1" steel rings. There was no elevation built in and the required elevation for 1k was beyond the K10's range. Commercial shims weren't available to me back then...

I went to the range on an off-duty day during the week and had the range to myself. I zeroed the elevation on the scope. I used 1 oz lead fishing weights (the type with lead 'ears' and the slit down the body,) my mini-anvil (8" railroad rail piece) and a 1/4" steel plate to hammer my own shims. I don't remember the heights (so I looked at my micrometer and looked at what gaps looked close.) I shimmed both front and rear as I didn't want the steel rings to dint the aluminum scope tube. The front shim was between 2 and 3 inches, 3/8" wide and apx .020~ .030 inches thick. (I cut the shims in half and put apx equal pieces under and above the scope tube in the rings.) The rear shim was a[x the same length and width; but, the thickness started off around 0.10". I spent the morning trying out rear shim thickness on a couple of rear shim attempts. (The lead will deform enough under pressure to keep the scope safe while adding angle.)

I finally got on paper. I had burned up a quarter tank + of gas driving back and forth to the butts area. (No spotting scope :) ) I claimed success and removed the shims and rezeroed the scope at 200 yds and was good to go out to 5oo yds. Just remember, I'm an advanced hobbyist, so don't try this at home without professional counseling :)

Semper Fi,

Tom

Post Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:06 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

I’m laughing so hard! That’s awesome!
I’m going to shim the rear base, may need your anvil!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:28 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Shot a sow about 50 lbs this aftn; tried for a pass thru shot into a larger sow. Hope it took her out as she will take over the group I’m sure. Took out the leader last week. I’ll be shimming the base in the rear to get scope somewhere near mechanical zero as soon as my shims come in Wed. If the shims don’t work out, may need Toms anvil. Once again after shooting it settled back to 1/4” clicks although it moved like 1/2 moa turrets. BTW, the GS3 optics are like a mil dot and it has windage dots! Good for leading a running hog! May not get to range till next week, but shimming the base is my best option I believe.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:17 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Congrats on the harvest. I guess you'll be teaching us how to kill 2 hogs with 1 bullet soon :)

Semper Fi,

Tom

Post Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:08 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Steiner really liked the shim on the Xbolt, shot a 5 shot 1/2” group with both 165 gr SST & Full Boar ammo. Scope moved in 1/4” clicks but only after 3-4 shots. The rough trail to my hunting area will be a real good test of holding zero. Will shoot again Tuesday when range opens. The Zeiss on the BAR had moved 4” down but windage was in line. After shooting the hog, it moved. Shooting it again Tuesday after riding trail with it. If it’s off, it goes back. The Full Boar ammo is a deep penetrating bullet advertised to have 95% weight retention. At some point I’ll get to try it on 2 hogs lined up.

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » GUNSnAMMO RELOADING OPTICS TRAILCAMS VIDEOS » BOLT ACTION