Forum    FAQ

Board index » WILDBOAR HUNTING AND TRAPPING » WILDBOAR HUNTING TIPS AND TACTICS

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Eye Shine Question
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:35 am 
SILVER
SILVER

I was using my red light the other night and noticed that the raccoons showed a really nice eye shine. So my question is: do hogs show eye shine? Next question: Can the hogs see the eye shine of the raccoons?

Post subject: Re: Eye Shine Question
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:41 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Personally I’ve seen hog & bear eyes shine with Texasboar lights, I doubt they can see another animals eye shine if using Teaxasboar lights. The reflection should be the same light as the light we are using I would think. Maybe Someone has a different take on this and post the reasoning.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:08 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Fred, I've used a varmint light with a red filter for it on my rifles for years. Hogs see something when you shine a red spotlight on them. I've had too many stop and look at me when I hit them with the red light. I went to just using the unfiltered white light to shoot years ago. Hogs still stop and look; but, I can see them better for the shot. I was never very close using the red light and don't recall eye reflections. I do know that a white light will cause a hogs eyes to shine tho. I hope this helps...

Semper Fi,

Tom

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:08 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Fred, I've used a varmint light with a red filter for it on my rifles for years. Hogs see something when you shine a red spotlight on them. I've had too many stop and look at me when I hit them with the red light. I went to just using the unfiltered white light to shoot years ago. Hogs still stop and look; but, I can see them better for the shot. I was never very close using the red light and don't recall eye reflections. I do know that a white light will cause a hogs eyes to shine tho. I hope this helps...

Semper Fi,

Tom

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:28 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Thank you both for your replies. It makes sense that a hog wold not be able to see the eye shine of a raccoon, but I was not sure. When I use my red light, I try not to turn it on or shine it directly at the hog when the hog is facing me. I wait until the hog turns away and even then I notice that they sometimes stop and look at what changed. I have also had hogs see their own shadow doing this so i have to be careful not to hit them with the full force of the light all at one time. I usually turn the light on while it is still pointed up in the air and then slowly bring it down on them. Again, thanks for the reply and happy hunting.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:11 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

There's been times that I'd swear they noticed something with an IR illuminator.

Stood and watched them with NV for 10-20 min. with no reaction.

Turned on the IR and they start getting twitchy.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:15 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

My experience with the ATN 450 infrared illuminator is they look at it a second and then pay it no mind - raccoons however are another story ive seen them turn and run

[ 7 posts ] 

Board index » WILDBOAR HUNTING AND TRAPPING » WILDBOAR HUNTING TIPS AND TACTICS