Forum    FAQ

Board index » TROPHY BOAR QUEST "PHOTO POST" » WILDBOAR PHOTOS

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 13 posts ] 
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:56 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

1 sow DRT 150 yds, no picture but she went down with her back legs up kicking. Watched her dead body about 1.5 hrs. Was texting my wife I’d be home early, looked at where she had been laying & no hog. I’m guessing the big bear took her. She was the single sow with the 5 piglets & they were squealing loudly. Probably what brought the predator. Saw a deer feed on my corn 30 mins before last light. Another great hint with Texasboars light! Lots of deer tracks on our lease, since I’ve taken 37 hogs.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:19 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

This sow wasn't real big, but has been hunted by me since March and she escaped several times. She always varied the time when showing in my plot. Trail cam checked today showed she was down for 18 mins, crawled a few feet, got up then fell again. I thought she had moved some after I checked where she went down while I hunted last night... and cam proved it. She moved just out of detector range so no more pictures of her moving. I'll never know if the bear got her or did she crawl out?
Piglet DRT about 200 yds and about 25 lbs

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:45 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Good shooting! What caliber rifle are you using?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:57 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Old school 30-06 Hornady 150 gr SST

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:42 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Great job!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:35 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Ronnie wrote:
Old school 30-06 Hornady 150 gr SST

I had a similar experience last year with my 30-06 - shot small hog 100 lbs or so & dropped in tracks 30 yds away - after about 20 mins i hear low grunts - thought maybe another hog closeby - it was the hog i shot could lift its head - got down from stand & finished it off - strange! I was using Remington 180 gr core-lokt

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:22 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Wow, hogs are tough & can take a hit. I knew the Xbolt needed Cooper cleaned out about every 40 rounds & then about 4-5 shots to get the extreme accuracy back, but couldn’t get out there in time to shoot prior to hunt so I’d didn't remove the copper. I did shoot yesterday to check the grouping and it was out to about 3” at 100yds. When I remove the copper it’s 1/4” group at 100 yds. Then 40 shots later, copper fouling starts the widening of the group. I would not have know this but I had two of those parallax adjustable scopes and they gave me a fit after 200+ rounds, sent it back and mounted a fixed parallax Zeiss and it’s deadly accurate. Learned my lesson and no more adj parallax for me.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:23 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Ronnie wrote:
Wow, hogs are tough & can take a hit. I knew the Xbolt needed Cooper cleaned out about every 40 rounds & then about 4-5 shots to get the extreme accuracy back, but couldn’t get out there in time to shoot prior to hunt so I’d didn't remove the copper. I did shoot yesterday to check the grouping and it was out to about 3” at 100yds. When I remove the copper it’s 1/4” group at 100 yds. Then 40 shots later, copper fouling starts the widening of the group. I would not have know this but I had two of those parallax adjustable scopes and they gave me a fit after 200+ rounds, sent it back and mounted a fixed parallax Zeiss and it’s deadly accurate. Learned my lesson and no more adj parallax for me.
I didn't know all that about copper fouling, etc. I can tell that ya'll who shoot long range have to know a lot about guns, cleaning them, which load it shoots best, scope adjustments, etc. I'm a horrible shot, lol, but on the other hand, I hunt in a swamp, with trees, brush, etc. and 50 yds about my max night time range - with that said, I sight in my gun with a 3" circle at 30 yds. When I can group 1" shots in the middle of that I'm good to go with ANY load at that short distance. I just want the bullet that penetrates and expands good let's say on a 200 lb hog - it drops em in their tracks. This .35 Whelen doin just that with the Federal 200 gr Fusion and the Federal 225 gr. Bear Claw.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:36 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

I like that approach! Keep us updated on your hunts.
God Bless you!

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:15 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Ronnie wrote:
I like that approach! Keep us updated on your hunts.
God Bless you!
Got a 210 lb sow last week - I'm nearly deaf so I use electronic ear muffs - tree frogs & katydids so loud I couldn't hear anything else, lol - then coons ran off and it got so silent you could hear a pin drop I knew something was coming in - few mins later, she did - shouldn't have, lol. What amazes me about hogs is how they can slip in, quietly - at least I don't hear em, lol. Love hog huntin at night!

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:19 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

That’s a good hunt! Congrats! I use electronic ear muffs too.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:47 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Ronnie wrote:
That’s a good hunt! Congrats! I use electronic ear muffs too.
Just got a new hearing aid for my left ear (right ear so bad a hearing aid won't help) - it has a sound compression rating of up to 25 db I think - audiologist said some use it for hunting but they don't recommend it - I think 25 db is about what the common earplugs are rated at. Anyway I may try it - I think Marineboar or someone on here recently posted that he had worked in the industry maybe he can comment on it.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:14 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

I use sound compression too. If there is time turn the muffs sound amplification/compression off & the muffs will keep out more than 25 db like regular muffs. This works for me. My left ear is amplified 100% & right ear is about 50%. Gave me directional hearing back while hunting. I use the Pro Ears Gold. Not cheap but allows the tuning for each ear.

[ 13 posts ] 

Board index » TROPHY BOAR QUEST "PHOTO POST" » WILDBOAR PHOTOS