Forum    FAQ

Board index » WILDBOAR HUNTING AND TRAPPING » WILDBOAR HUNTING TIPS AND TACTICS

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Piglet Survival
 Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:34 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

FYI: This video shows the survivability of 2 and 3 week old piglets in the wild... amazing .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqKV4S1dHyU

Semper Fi,

Tom

Post subject: Re: Piglet Survival
 Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:31 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Dang! There goes my hopes to keep the predators on piglets. However, maybe our predator population is better at catching those little rascals. Thanks Tom! Very good to know. I still may let em live to see if they show up again. My limited experiment is not conclusive but we saw less predators & our piglets didn’t show back up. If I have any success with killing sows & letting piglets pull predation away from fawns I’ll post it.
Thank you very much for this post!
Ronnie

Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:41 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Ronnie,

Hunting on family farms, that's been how we operate... Leaving the piglets to the predators. We don't shoot any bobcats and we haven't seen any pumas yet. Hunting on the river bottom farms, as well as trapping, has yet to reduce the pig population much; but, the main farm also is next to a huge paper company tree farm and the pigs seem to come from there.

Semper Fi,

Tom

Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:07 am 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

Ronnie wrote:
Dang! There goes my hopes to keep the predators on piglets. However, maybe our predator population is better at catching those little rascals. Thanks Tom! Very good to know. I still may let em live to see if they show up again. My limited experiment is not conclusive but we saw less predators & our piglets didn’t show back up. If I have any success with killing sows & letting piglets pull predation away from fawns I’ll post it.
Thank you very much for this post!
Ronnie

Good luck with that. Predators are going to go after the easiest pray they can find. Newborn fawns are pretty easy. Piglets, on the other hand, are pretty robust and fast. If you do have success with that strategy it would definitely be a good thing.

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:25 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Well, coyote tracks are following the piglets. Based on observations & trail cams, there were 8 piglets left for about 8 weeks, I shot 2 of those shoats this aftn. Not sure if the coyote are able to catch the piglets but they are trailing them. Today there were two 50 lb sows & one piglet grouped together, the other group was down to 2. Hopefully my cams will confirm there are only 3 left from those 2 groups. I’ll hunt these & try to eliminate what’s left before more move in. Deer tracks are showing up more now since the timber co sprayed about 100 acres 3 weeks ago.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:33 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Another one DRT.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:13 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Different 3 came out closer #46 hit #47 DRT.
4 to go.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:29 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

It appears the predators were only successful taking 3 of 4 of the very small piglets with the spots. The other slightly larger piglets that had lost their spots survived and had slightly larger Boars tagging along after I killed their moma. It’s been a learning experience with a lot of dead hogs! It also appears the hogs are able to find peas planted after it rains. I think the peas give off more aroma after a rain, Ive witnessed this 3 years running. Also, I’ve noted that before I start downhill on my trail there are usually no buzzards in the air, but once I’m 1/2 way down the buzzards are flying.

[ 8 posts ] 

Board index » WILDBOAR HUNTING AND TRAPPING » WILDBOAR HUNTING TIPS AND TACTICS