Forum    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » CAMPFIRE CHAT

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:14 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Reading the Hog Hunting threads, I started thinking about my most interesting hog hunt. The 1st one that came to mind was hunting at a co-worker friend's farm North of Hawkins, Tx. The land had been partially clear cut and they didn't replant, so the new growth was about 12 foot high. Hank was clearing out the 2nd growth and putting in new pastures. He currently had 2 nice pastures and hogs were rooting in his expensive pasture grass. He wanted all the hogs gone ASAP. We put in a couple of feeders, game cameras and built a ground blind at one location and an elevated 'pipe' stand at the other feeder. We filled feeders and changed out cam cards on Saturdays. We'd visit with Hank and his wife while we looked at the camera memory cards at the critters visiting the corn feeders. By the end of the 2nd week, we had a large sow with a herd of babies visiting the feeder with the elevated stand just after dark.

On the 3rd weekend, my older son wanted to go and claimed the elevated pipe stand. We stopped in town and bought a 6-pack for Hank and a couple of Dr. Peppers. Hank was glad to see us and receive 6-pack gift. We talked outside by the barn while we finished out Dr. Peppers and Hank had a beer. We had plenty of time to get to the stands and as Hank started his 2nd beer, he walked us out towards the stands. My older son got up in the elevated blind and I went on to the ground blind. I had the .44 Mag Ruger Blackhawk revolver and a .22 Mag rifle. (I wanted to try grilling a small piggy.) About 30 minutes before sunset, I heard a shot. My son had shot the sow with the babies. The piglets had run off into the woods. The piglets were running in a large circle in the cover around their dead mommy in the clearing. As they ran, they made sounds.... grunt, grunt, grunt, grunt, squeal, grunt, grunt, grunt, squeal, grunt, grunt, grunt.... From their vocalizations and the noise from their moving thru the brush, you could track their location. I ran over to a dirt road that they would cross... I shot 2 with the .22 Mag as they crossed the road. I picked them up, each weighing in the 12~ 15 lb range, and tied their rear feet together to carry and headed back to my right to the next possible spot to see the small pigs in the brush. This next crossing spot saw them get quiet and seem to wait for a few minutes before they started to cross. This time the seemed to be online, side by side, as they ran across the dirt patch. I got one more at 20 yds out. This time, they scattered under the low growing pine limbs in a thicket that also had a nice growth of briers and underbrush. They lay still and quiet as I tried to walk in and force them to move. With darkness arriving, I went back to help my son field dress the sow and head back to Hank's barn.

I'll say that I've heard a lot of unique sounds in my life. But, I'd have to say that that heard of baby pigs running, continuously grunting with punctuating squeals was a very unique sound. Hank tried for the next week to get one of these babies, but had no luck. They were gone after a week, either being eaten by a coyote, bobcat, hawk or other critter or by finding another sounder and getting a new mama. I will end by noting that one 15 lb piggy is sweet and tender meat, just right for two people to have for supper. Eat 'em if ya' got 'em.... :)

Semper Fi,

Tom

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:04 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Sounds like y'all really good time - it gets interesting when they get that close! I had some behind my cabin one time, & had a 10 yard clearing, had my 12 guage 3 & 1/2" magnum with buckshot, 3 little ones crossed the opening & all 3 went down. That's fun - sounds like you've hunted hogs for some time - keep up the good work!

Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:22 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Thanks for sharing such a great hunt!
God bless you!

Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:16 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

Sounds like a fun hunt!!

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/