Forum    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » CAMPFIRE CHAT

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Hard to get boar
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:04 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Got a good sized boar coming in to feeder but never when I'm there - I take it that wind direction & smell are the culprits. It's getting warm weather around here, and I have a 200 yard walk to stand, so that's one strike against me right there - prevailing wind direction is another. Camera shows he usually comes in from 10:30 p.m. (earliest camera shows), to 2 a.m. Last nite I decided to get there early at 8 and waited til 12 - no show. Think it might be better to wait til 10 pm to go to stand & wait til 2? Afraid I might bust him going in to stand if he's in the area but dunno. It would be little cooler by then, though. I hunt within 50 yds of feeder, so moving stand west of present location might help with wind direction. Maybe some scent control product will help. What y'all think?

Post subject: Re: Hard to get boar
 Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:55 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Go early, stay late! I wish you the best of luck getting him. I have a really big one coming to my pig pipe, but I have not had the time to take him out. There is just too many things on my schedule right now.

Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:14 am 
SILVER
SILVER

fred winters wrote:
Go early, stay late! I wish you the best of luck getting him. I have a really big one coming to my pig pipe, but I have not had the time to take him out. There is just too many things on my schedule right now.

Thanks, Fred - it gets dark about 8:30 & he comes in 1:30 - 2 - lots of sitting, lol, but it may be what it takes to get him. Hope you find time to get your hog - how big do you estimate that he is? I learn from how others get these big ones - they are smart!

Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:06 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

Scent is a big deal with hogs. The wind has to be right. Your route into the stand has to be such that your scent doesn't get blown to where he is at on the way in also. And, if he crosses your trail at any point prior to getting to the feeder your scent trail could tip him off as well. You should have your stand set up so that you can get in, and out, without tipping him off. Avoid checking the feeder, or the camera right before the hunt. Your scent will linger in the area, and could tip him off.

I've never had much luck with scent control products. Face it, humans flat stink to animals. Pigs can separate scents so well that even if you were able to get yourself scent free they might smell the oils in your gun or bow. The smells in your truck will be on your clothes. If you wear your hunting boots while driving the scents from gas stations, floor boards etc, will be on the bottoms of your boots.

The best way I've found to counter the ability for animals to smell you is to get HIGH. And, I don't mean smoke some weed. I mean set up a stand with some height to it. I like 15-20'. The ladder stands I like to use are 15'. If I use a climber I'll be close to 20'. The tripods I always used were 14'. Getting up off the ground helps because your scent trail flows with the wind. Think of your scent trail like a flowing stream. It will flow from you, around obstacles up and down elevations....etc. Also, thermal currents can affect your scent trail. In the morning as the day heats up your scent trail will flow up hill in the absence of a driving wind to steer it elsewhere. And, in the evening as the day cools it will flow downhill in the absence of a driving wind current.

Another thing to remember, boars will sometimes scent check the feeder area's by approaching from down wind of the feeder. They are checking for sows in heat, danger, anything out of the ordinary....etc. This is one reason they're so hard to kill. You might try placing some sow in heat scent near the feeder area to make the boar feel more comfortable about coming in.

Another consideration is changing your set up to intercept him somewhere along his travel route at a pinch point. Pinch points are spots where the hog MUST go to reach his destination. It's a place he won't have a choice but to go there in order to get to his ultimate destination. If you find a pinch point, set up down wind of it, and get to it without alerting him, you'll have a good chance to harvest him. First, he won't be expecting danger along his travel route. Second, he will be in a position to shoot because he has no other option. It's a win win for the hunter, if you can find a spot like that, or create a spot like that.

Good luck, and keep us posted on whether you get him or not.

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:59 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Great tips, Marty! I know his escape route but haven't found his approach route - the last big one I killed, the wind was outta the north, and he came in from the north! Probably came from the south, circled the feedr, didn't smell me, and came in is my guess. His mistake. This hog I'm now after almost always shows up 1.5 - 2 hours after I leave which leads me to believe he's crossed my trail going to the stand, as you indicated, and waits until I leave. Cooler nights next week, thank goodness, and if swamp doesn't flood, I'm gonna do some more tracking - he has a big track so easier to follow. My stand is approx. 12' high. I try to check the camera in the morning, or no later than 2 pm - I've read that your scent lingers for 6 hours to I try to adhere to that. Getting to this stand from a different route is difficult because of the bogs, they are tough and create noise as well. If he continues to hang around, I will figure him out, one way or the other - just the way I am, lol. Have some camera pics of him & hard to tell but I think bigger than the last one I got. That .35 Whelen is really droppin em in their tracks, which is exactly what I wanted! I pulled my cameras from the swamp due to potential flooding from recent rains - the last pic I got appears to be of an even larger boar - I'm convinced it's not the same hog I've been after! Marty, if there are 2 big ones, I understand that they won't tolerate each other, right? I suppose the larger will run the other off. This could get interesting, lol.

Post Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:16 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

If you can stand the heat, turn on a heater 1 hr before last light. Scent will rise, I’ve used this many times when the wind shifted. I’ve killed 3 big boars, that never came to feeder. They were scent checking the wind each time. Without the heater running I would not have taken 2 of those. Best of luck!

Post Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:17 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

If you can stand the heat, turn on a heater 1 hr before last light. Scent will rise, I’ve used this many times when the wind shifted. I’ve killed 3 big boars, that never came to feeder. They were scent checking the wind each time. Without the heater running I would not have taken 2 of those. Best of luck!

Post Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:27 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Ronnie wrote:

Interesting - never heard of this before - I probably couldn't tolerate the heater as hot as it is here. Thanks for the tip, though!

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:21 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Staying down wind and height are your best bets. Maybe move your game camera around to find his approach, (or use a 2nd camera.) If you have farming activities around your area, the hog may be acclimated to tractors and trucks. (One place I hunt, you can drive a tractor up to within 20 yards of a sounder.) Can you drive your tuck any closer than within 50 yards of the stand? Drive in about sunset and stay late may be your best choice. Are there any raccoons on your feeder? (They tend to act as alarms for some boars.)

Best of luck on getting him. Keep us posted.

Semper Fi,

Tom

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:45 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Dakota alert motion sensors wake me up when I doze off on a night hunt. They are discontinuing some battery operated ones that work very well. I try not to face them into the sun, battery life is very good.

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:47 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

MarineBoar wrote:
Staying down wind and height are your best bets. Maybe move your game camera around to find his approach, (or use a 2nd camera.) If you have farming activities around your area, the hog may be acclimated to tractors and trucks. (One place I hunt, you can drive a tractor up to within 20 yards of a sounder.) Can you drive your tuck any closer than within 50 yards of the stand? Drive in about sunset and stay late may be your best choice. Are there any raccoons on your feeder? (They tend to act as alarms for some boars.)

Best of luck on getting him. Keep us posted.
Thanks for the tips, Tom. Stayed last nite til 1:30 & heard him trot off just before i was to leave guess he smelled me. Today i moved my stand hopefully for better wind direction. Today camera showed he was back 45 minutes after i left & he stayed at feedr 2 hours. No farm around can drive truck within 100 yds of stand on road i built but dont wanna get that close will probably park 150 yds or so tonite im tired from movin stand by myself lol. Gotta leave in few minutes will let ya know if i get him.

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:27 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Got one tonite about 250 lbs at 10:10 pm. Again moved stand today fer better wind direction & used alternate route to stand. Somethin worked. The bigger hog is swaybacked & looks a foot longer on camera hope he comes back.,Thanks fer all the tips, i love this sport & put a lot into it. Much more to learn but im tryin - experience a good teacher but tips from pros really help! He sliped in on me - but Whelen said he aint goin no further lol

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:51 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Congrats! Good hunt!

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:44 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Ronnie wrote:
Congrats! Good hunt!
Thanks, Ronnie

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:44 am 
SILVER
SILVER

troyo wrote:
Got one tonite about 250 lbs at 10:10 pm.

Congratulations! Your persistence paid off.

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:48 am 
SILVER
SILVER

troyo wrote:
I learn from how others get these big ones - they are smart!

Just like I am learning from you on how to get my big one! I'll get him, it will just take time and making time to go hunting.

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:07 am 
SILVER
SILVER

fred winters wrote:
troyo wrote:
Got one tonite about 250 lbs at 10:10 pm.

Congratulations! Your persistence paid off.

Appreciate it, Fred! Yes, I believe persistence is a key in hunting. Stay after em, lol, & sooner or later...

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:12 am 
SILVER
SILVER

fred winters wrote:
troyo wrote:

Just like I am learning from you on how to get my big one! I'll get him, it will just take time and making time to go hunting.

LOL I don't know much but love sharing what little that I do know - these guys on this forum have hunted for years and know more about hogs than hogs know about themselves, lol. They probably don't even shoot anything under 250 lbs. We don't have that many big ones around here where I live, so when I find a good one, I get excited about it, lol. I can only hope that big sway-backed one comes back. Hope you get your big boy soon - keep us posted on it!!!

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:42 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

troyo wrote:
fred winters wrote:
troyo wrote:

LOL I don't know much but love sharing what little that I do know - these guys on this forum have hunted for years and know more about hogs than hogs know about themselves, lol. They probably don't even shoot anything under 250 lbs. We don't have that many big ones around here where I live, so when I find a good one, I get excited about it, lol. I can only hope that big sway-backed one comes back. Hope you get your big boy soon - keep us posted on it!!!

LMBO, nothing under 250lbs??!! Ha ha, well, not exactly. My last one was a shoate that was about 60lbs with a crossbow out near Leakey, TX. Was a big group of them, and I picked the one standing still, lol. Then, a few weeks earlier, I got two out of a group with my .308 AR. Both were around 100lbs. I get them where and when I can get them. I've gotten a few good boars. And, I certainly won't let a good boar walk, but I'll shoot what ever pigs show up.

There's a few fella's I know that go after trophy boars regularly. Howie is one of them. He has killed a bunch of sure nuff bigguns. The man that taught him owns this forum, Texasboars. He knows big boars better than anyone. And, he's killed more bigguns than anyone I know. There's a few others on here that kill some real bigguns. With that said, I think each man I've mentioned would kill whatever pigs show up at a set up. That is, unless they are targeting a specific boar.

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:06 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Well, lol, I shoot em all, to - 9 this year so far, from 20 pounds to about 350 - whatever shows up. Marty, you & Kevin ought to post some on your successful hunts how you got a really big one, going into detail on the set up, how long it took to get him, etc. We not only learn from it, it's fun to read about on days when we can't get out there. This nite huntin hogs is great! I hope the Lord will allow me to stay in good health a few more years so I can continue to enjoy this!

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » CAMPFIRE CHAT