Forum    FAQ

Board index » GUNSnAMMO RELOADING OPTICS TRAILCAMS VIDEOS » GENERAL GUNS AND LOADS

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hunting pistols?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:05 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

I thought I'd start a discussion about what type of pistols we all carry to the woods, their caliber, what kind of pistol actions, and why we made the choices we made.

I'll start by saying that I've carried a few different handguns to the woods over the years. I started in the early 80's packing a 4" S&W Model 19 in .357 to the woods. I used 158grn soft points. I never killed any hogs with that pistol, but it took a few deer for me. Then I switched to a six inch S&W 686, and enjoyed it a lot. After that I acquired a nickel plated Series 70 Colt, and thought I was the chit. That old Colt was a ton of fun to shoot. Then, like an idiot, I was in a range with a pro shop and saw a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 10" barrel on it. I had no money, but I had that purty nickel Colt Series 70. And, yes, I did the unthinkable. I traded even steven for that Ruger Super Blackhawk.

I mounted a nice Leupold pistol scope on that Ruger, and went to killing deer with it. I don't recall how many, but I killed a few each year for about 5yrs with it. Then, I went with a Thompson Contender in .44mag. I sold the Ruger to afford that TC. I killed a bunch of deer with that pistol too. When the TC Encore came out, I had to have one. So, I got one in .308 Winchester. And, O M G. I had a certifiable hand cannon with that baby. I killed deer out to about 250yrds with that pistol. It was more accurate than any bolt rifle I had had up to that point. And, I used it for about 5 or six years. It was one of those guns that most people would only shoot once. The recoil on that pistol was BRUTAL.

Well, my kids were getting to the age that they wanted to hunt. So, I sold the Ruger and the TC's. And, I got a little .243 single shot, and I got my wife a nice Browning Abolt in .270. By that time I had started carrying a Glock 19, as I was a reserve deputy for Galveston County Sheriff Department. So, the Glock would go on my hip, at least for a little while. Then I found another Ruger Super Blackhawk in a 6" model. I had a nice holster custom made for it in 36" belt length. LOL, I can't wear it now days as my waste has gotten a bit larger than that. So, I just buckle it on the last hole and use it draped over my shoulder. As the kids got older, so did I. And, that big ole Ruger got heavier each time I took it out.

Shortly after my two oldest went off to college I decided to get a LTC. And, I started packing either a Glock 43, or a Shield 45, everywhere I go including the woods. They work ok for finishing off a wounded animal. I'd never take only the pistol as a primary though. I also started changing what kind of rifles I used hunting. I switched to AR styled rifles. I started hunting with a PA10 in .308. And, I had my self defense pistols on my side. I did that a few years.

I guess Glock pistols are just the kind I really like. They're reliable, simple to operate, easy to work on, sorta like my AR's. And, they're easy to mod. So, recently I traded off an AR I wasn't using for two more Glocks. I decided to get the full size big boy Glocks. I got a Glock 21, and a Glock 30. Both are in .45acp, one of my favorite calibers. While the .45acp isn't really a hunting round, I like it as a good self defense round, and a round that I can use to finish off wounded game. And, one thing I'm thinking about is getting a 10mm barrel, and turning that 21 into a 10mm hunting machine. I've got a hog hunting trip coming up the last weekend in April in the hill country. Our primary weapons will be crossbows, but one of the Glock .45acp's will be on my side in those woods.

So, what kind of handguns do you guys take to the woods, and why?

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

Post subject: Re: Hunting pistols?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:58 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

What do ya'll know about the .45 super, or the .460 Rowland? I'm looking at conversion kits for those to use on my Glock 21. Have any of you tried either of them?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:11 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Marty,

I know a little bit about Colt 1911 pattern pistols. For a comparison: the .45 ACP 230 gr bullet travels at 800~ 900 fps; the 45 Super 230 gr bullet travels at 1,100~ 1,150 fps; and, the 460 Rowland 230 gr bullet travels at 1,350 fps (according to an ad on 460Rowland.com for the 460 Rowland.) The stock Colt 1911 uses a 22 lb spring for stock ball ammo. The 45 Super will be using a 24 to 26 lb spring. The 460 Rowland will probably be using a 28 to 30 lb spring and requires a good slide buffer. (Other parts depend on your conversion.) (I like to use a buffer on a plain .45 ACP to keep the frame health over a long life.)

There are .45 ACP 230 gr +P commercial ammo that claim 1,000 fps (Underwood.) IMO, the 45 Super is good for about 200 fps over the stock .45 ACP at best. The 460 Rowland shows a bigger improvement; but, the pistols shown on that site have barrels over 5 inches in length and are ported to reduce recoil. Forums say that it's hard to reload to get commercial advertised velocities. (Pressure signs show up before advertised velocities are obtained.) 45 Super and 460 Rowland ammo is higher priced and harder to find that 45 ACP loads.

One alternative is that you can get custom dies and reload for is the .45 ACP necked down to 10 mm. You can get 10m ballistics in a .45 ACP pistol then.

IMO, a stock .45 firing 230 gr bullets with a large meplat bullet at +P velocities would be a cheaper alternative for hunting big game. Money saved from not converting could be used to improve the trigger, obtaining a longer barrel and having it ported, installing a buffer pad and/ or Polishing/ shaping the feed ramp to be reliable on the large meplat bullets. Then you have handloads and store bought ammo that gets around the 1,000 fps range.

Semper Fi,

Tom

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:48 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

With the Glock 21, a conversion to .45 super wouldn't cost to much. I'd get an after market barrel that has full case support, and a 24-26lb spring. Midway has both pretty cheap. For under 200 dollars I can have my Glock 21 set up to shoot .45 super. I've looked at a few loads, and some youtube video's showing their respective velocities. And, Underwood ammo seems to consistently have the best and most accurate claims of velocities.

I already shoot +P Federal 230grn HST ammo in my Glock. It's supposed to be moving at 950fps. Although, I've never chronographed it. The .460 rowland is a big step up from .45 super, and the conversion is a bit more expensive as well. The barrel is more expensive, and it's highly recommended that you put a break on the end of it to help with recoil and slide velocity. Plus, from what I'm reading it's recommended that you also install the heavy recoil spring and steel guide rod. Plus, it's recommended that you also install a heavier striker spring. For me, I think if I do anything I'll switch to the .45 super. At least with that I can still use my .45acp +p loads without changing anything after the conversion. For practice rounds I may have to put in the weaker recoil spring and guide rod, but other than that the after market barrel with work with .45 acp loads.

I really like the idea of some souped up .45acp loads, aka .45 Super.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:55 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

Marineboar, I used to have a few 1911's. I enjoyed shooting them. However, I've drifted away from them in favor of more modern designs with higher capacities. The last 1911 I had was a Kimber Custom Eclipse. It was a sweet pistol, with the absolute best trigger I've ever felt on a pistol of any kind. And, it was a tack driver. At 15yrds my bullseye would be one ragged hole after a couple mags. The only problem with that all stainless steel pistol was the weight. It was a very heavy pistol to carry, and only have 8+1 rounds of ammo on board. So, I sold it off, just like all the rest of my 1911's.

With my 21, I have 13+1 rounds on board, and it's a lot lighter in weight. The trigger is not as good. However, it's just different. And, with training I'll get as good with it as I was with my Kimber. I'm enjoying my Glocks. Shucks, I've even started carrying a Glock 30SF as my daily carry piece.

[ 5 posts ] 

Board index » GUNSnAMMO RELOADING OPTICS TRAILCAMS VIDEOS » GENERAL GUNS AND LOADS