Forum    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » CAMPFIRE CHAT

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Info Please
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:09 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Took me a year but finally got big boy other nite - scales said 370 but I have questions - previous nights a lone spotted boar came in, then nites later joined by a larger hog & they tolerated each other - then, big boy shows up for a few nites & the other 2 haven’t been seen since - - I finally got to be there when big boy my grandson & i named him & took him out with my 35 Whelen. My question is - did the other hogs that were coming in regularly leave because big boy was in the area? Im still tryin to learn their behavioral patterns & this might help me later on.

Post subject: Re: Info Please
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:26 am 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

Yes, that is possible. Large boars will fight for dominance. And, what I've seen is a large boar may take over a spot/feeder, and other hogs will vacate that area. Now that you've killed him I suspect other hogs will come in. Usually, another large boar will take over the area. It sounds like perhaps the two that tolerated each other were not mature boars. Typically, mature old boars won't tolerate each other and will fight.

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:13 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Thanks for the info - what I was thinking but wanted confirmation. The spotted boar looked to be maybe 150 & the other maybe 200 - no hogs on camera since i killed big boy. Will wait, lol

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:04 am 
GOLD
GOLD

370, that's quite impressive. Nice job. Don't worry, hogs will be back shortly.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:26 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

What Marty said.... Mature boars will fight for dominance and breeding rights in an area. That's why they've developed the 'shield'. Just wait, you may soon see a sounder with the ladies if you are feeding and additional boars... :)

Semper Fi,

Tom

Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:43 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Gary Rapp wrote:
370, that's quite impressive. Nice job. Don't worry, hogs will be back shortly.

Gary, the scales may have been wrong - they were pulled at an angle - i'm thinking more like 270 but here's the thing, a new "big boy" just moved in & I measured his track at 2.5" bigger than the one I killed - "if" I can get him, I will see that the scales are in an upright position this time so I can be sure of an accurate reading. The one guy tho that looked at my pics said yes, 370 was right - time will tell, had a nice one 200 or better on camera that i hunted other nite - heard him coming in, then i guess he smelled me & ran off. My mistake there. The new big hog is at the other stand and coming in after midnite too late fer me, but usually they will start coming in earlier - i hope so i really want this hog!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:47 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

OK, I know many of you have killed really big hogs, for years. Tell me, what weight "guesstimate" would you put on one with a 2.5" track? I'm interested.

[ 7 posts ] 

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » CAMPFIRE CHAT