Forum    FAQ

Board index » GUNSnAMMO RELOADING OPTICS TRAILCAMS VIDEOS » GENERAL GUNS AND LOADS

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: .50 caliber
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:10 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Thanks for the info, y'all - I'm still thinkin it over

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:36 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Well, I bought me a hog gun for stand hunting at night -a CVA Hunter in .35 Whelen, with 25" barrel, weighs 8 lbs. Took factory recoil pad off & put a limbsaver on which I think is better - will also add 2 lbs. of weight inside synthetic stock to further reduce recoil. Has a good trigger pull. Have it bore-sighted, will shoot it next chance I get - bought one box of Federal Fusion 200 gr. I understand they're good within 75 yards - long shot in the woods for me. I will sight in with this load - mostly I shoot 40 yds or less. I am asking input here from you ballistic guys - I have 2 bullets in mind as a "go to" load for possible big hogs (1) Barnes TTSX 200 grain at 2,700 fps y'all know all about that bullet so I'll not say anymore about it; & (2) Buffalo Bore 225 gr. spitzer at 2,800 fps - supposed to hold together on big game like elk - recommended for deer all the way through moose & bison. Please say which might be best in my short range situation. They cost about the same at Midway. If I do my part, I want a "dead right there" situation. Thanks.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:17 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Sighted in today, not too terribly bad on recoil lol

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:20 am 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

Good luck! Hope you get a big one!

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:42 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Appreciate it, Marty.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:25 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Killed a few hogs with my .35 Whelen - I shoot very close range, so it's easy to put the shot where it should be - if hog broadside, I aim top of shoulderblade, which should put me on the spine - so far they have dropped in their tracks, no tracking whatsoever involved. Even the big one went straight down - think I severed his spine. I understand this not being a popular bullet because most now are into long range shooting; however, with me, it's short range, and I have full advantage of the load's max velocity and hitting power - a different caliber for everyone, I understand that, but so far I couldn't ask for better with this one - many complain about its recoil - well, the gun weighed 8 lbs. with a 25" barrel, & I added 2 lbs. lead weight to stock, & scope is 3 lbs. so recoil no longer a consideration - in fact, as a recoil sensitive shooter, I now enjoy shooting it!

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:36 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

MarineBoar wrote:
Some years back, when the pigs first started bothering the pastures of some relatives, I talked with a few of them and their friends to get an idea about how to hunt hogs. Those old boys were serious about shooting and hitting where you shot and bringing home the meat. One guy said his 22-250 only worked if he got a neck shot or a head shot. Another said shotguns didn't have the accuracy at the ranges you'd see, so not to bother with them.

I mentioned that I had a 30-06 and some 150 gr and 180 gr loads that shot well and asked if that'd work well enough for hogs. That caused a 2nd round of cans to be passed around and I was told that to stop a pig, you either shot it in the back of the head or the neck. I said I used a partitioned 150 gr bullet and the 180 gr was rated for elk. This caused a guy, Frank, I think, to laugh and say that elk bullets didn't stop hogs any faster. He then said that he and his friends had decided to see if they could find a caliber that could stop a hog with a heart and lung shot without it running off. He said that he'd personally shot a hog thru the shoulders at about 100 yds with a 338 Win Mag with a 225 gr elk rated bullet. He said it was a good shot, the bullet had expanded fairly quickly and had destroyed the heart and lungs passing on to leave a massive exit hole. Frank took a swing and said the hog ran across the field like normal except that it seemed to be pumping more blood out both sides like a firetruck with 2 hoses. They were trying next to get my relative to try out his Marlin 450 guide gun out; but, he claimed he was too wimpy to fire it much and nobody else wanted to barrow it for a test. They said they'd also like to see someone with a Barrett 50 BMG try a heart lung shot. (One fella' even said he's video that.)

(Background story: In 1975 I shot a spike buck at about 10 ft from the top of a cedar tree stand. I was using a hot load in 30-06 with a Sierra 150 gr spire point cup and core type bullet. The bullet entered the upper right of the base of it's neck and I found the totally inverted jacket under the skin near the front left armpit. The lead had expanded fast (@ about 3,000fps) and, you could say it basically exploded. Lead slivers shredded the chest cavity, penetrated the diaphragm and even shredded into the gut area. I've never seen a deader deer, but, I wanted a little bit better bullet to hold together. This is when I switched to Nosler Partitions, the front 40% expands fast for deer types and the 60% rear section penetrates, usually a shoot thru, and stays together. I've never had a deer take more than 1 step when hit reasonably close to target with this latter combination.)

When my youngest son got out of the Corps after Iraq, my older son and I took him on his 1st hog hunt (along with their cousin who had just gotten out of the Air Force.) We had rain on and off thru the night to make it fun. I drove them down the pastures to branch, now filling with water, which blocked the truck and dropped the 3 off. My older son guided them down the pasture road in the next field in the rain. At a point where the woods came close to the road, there was noise. My youngest was using my old A3-03 Springfield. He turned on the shooting light and found that they were in the middle of the sounder. A sow of about 80 lbs was pointed and staring at him to his front at about 20 feet. He quickly aimed and fires; the bullet entered center chest and exited at the rear. The sow flopped down, all 4 legs popping almost straight to her sides. About 10 seconds later, she popped up and began running in circles around the boys. Their cousin was hunting with his Dad's uncleaned Marlin 30-30 and jammed a round as he worked the level to chamber a round. My youngest chamber a 2nd round, and, in a historic Hog Hunter's voice yelled "Die Hog" and fired the second shot which dropped the sow. Neither shot was a head or neck shot.

Lesson Learned: If you don't want to see a hog run, it's a head or neck shot that breaks the neck. I would like to see results from a large caliber tho... :)
Tom, I've posted about the .35 Whelen I got - it drops them in their tracks! Keep in mind, I shoot very close, 40 yards or less, and can place shot high, through shoulder, near spine, and they drop - NO trailing them at all. I KNOW everyone else is into long range shooting, but this is what I call a brush gun, and I could ask for NO better. So far, I've been blessed with square shots, not much angle, but I wanted DRT, and this bullet does it. I personaly think it's not popular simply because it's not a long range bullet like I said that people are into nowdays. At this short range I have the FULL benefit of the bullet velocity and knock down power. I haven't had time to cut into the hogs to see the damage, the bullets don't pass all the way through, but DRT is just that. What more can a brush hunter ask for? lol

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:04 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Troyo,

I totally agree. Large slow moving rainbow arced bullets were efficiently killing buffalo with black powder long before our smokeless powder powered cartridges.

Semper Fi,

Tom

[ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » GUNSnAMMO RELOADING OPTICS TRAILCAMS VIDEOS » GENERAL GUNS AND LOADS