Forum    FAQ

Board index » WILDBOAR HUNTING AND TRAPPING » WILDBOAR HUNTING TIPS AND TACTICS

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hog Tracks
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:27 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

I'm interested in knowing if there is any rule of thumb measurement on a hogs size/weight by the measurement of his tracks. Obviously the bigger the track - but any ballpark figure on a 2" wide track, 2&1/2", 3", etc? Maybe not but curious nonetheless lol

Post subject: Re: Hog Tracks
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:37 pm 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

I think there probably would be a general rule or for a size class to a good print in firm soil.
1 inch is little, I would think in the 50 to 75 LB range.
1.5 is pretty standard track for around 100 to 125 pounds.
2.0 inches, not so common, that would be a good size hog print usually 170+ or so pounds.
2.5 That's the size track that should give hunters with 223 or other puny rounds some thought to a bigger gun. 2 inch is going to likely be at 200, I would expect probably over 200 pounds.

Then,
2.75 - 3.0 INCHES, that's what I would call the DuggaBoy! "We might need a bigger gun" LOL
I don't think they'll be tracks over 3 inches if so, it would be extremely rare or ID incorrect animal. I don't recall ever a track wider than the palm of my hand. Those 300 LB plus hogs I have taken were tracks almost as wide as my hand. Maybe approaching 3 inches certainly not over that. I just don't think I've seen a track over 3 inches that I would say, with any confidence, it was a hog.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:15 am 
SILVER
SILVER

That all sounds right from my limited experience. I've never seen a 3" track. Occasionally tho its easy to be fooled - sometimes they step in their own tracks in a certain way that makes the track look huge - dont buy it - follow it a ways & you will usually see its a track in a track. Now, if i ever find a 3" track that "stays a 3" track" while tracking, im gonna hunt that sucker lol

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:41 am 
SILVER
SILVER

TEXASBOARS wrote:
DuggaBoy!

DuggaBoy! That's a new one. I will have to remember that one!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:50 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

Also remember when looking at tracks that are in mud, soft dirt, or sand, they can look much larger than what they really are. Besides the tracks, I like to look for rubs on tree's. When hogs rub the mud off of themselves you can often see how tall they are by the mud they leave on the trees. Boars will also sometimes hit the trees with their tusks, leaving gouges in the bark. The height of those gouges can tell you a bit about the size of the boar too.

Of course, if you have a trail camera you can get all the info you need.

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:25 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Marty - will they pull the bark off a pine tree about 10" in diameter? I found one in a thicket not far from the creek, by a hog trail, that this had been done to - beaver don't usually do pine trees that I know of - always wondered about what did that.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:50 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

troyo wrote:
Marty - will they pull the bark off a pine tree about 10" in diameter? I found one in a thicket not far from the creek, by a hog trail, that this had been done to - beaver don't usually do pine trees that I know of - always wondered about what did that.

I’ve seen pine trees with mud rubs on them, but I’ve never seen one where all the bark had been ripped off of it by hogs. The gouge marks I’ve seen on trees were on larger trees where hogs were rubbing mud off, and hit the tree with their tusks. The majority of the rubs I see are on hardwood trees in creek and river bottoms. And, usually there’s a wallow nearby.

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:51 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Thanks - we also have some nutria, its possible they did it, dunno. But to me very unusual for a pine tree & its nearness to the hog trail made me wonder. May go back & take another look.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:55 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Decided to scout out an area that I know that no one hunts in but me during duck season - looking for hogs on this trip, of course, saw lots of sign, but it was all old, I guess maybe a month - half a mile area but no fresh sign. What I did see, "if" it was a track that wasn't in a track, raised my eyebrow!!! It was a good 3" wide, and perfectly shaped, and deep, indicating the weight. In the particular location, I could only find this one track, so I can NOT confirm it was a valid track size, but if it is, I'm guessing a 400 pounder. Have a pic on my camera made Jan. 2 of one I estimate to be 300 lbs., but haven't seen him since. Man, I would love to get a really big one like 400 lbs., I know they're few & far between, at least in this neck of the woods. Was told of one killed within a few miles of me that weighed 500, and that they had the pics of him, but would have to see it to believe that big, lol. However, as I understand it, the Louisiana record is 549 lbs. Would look like a Volkswagen comin thru the woods, lol.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:13 am 
GOLD
GOLD

500lbs is possible but I'd have to see it to believe it too. Many overestimate weight because of excitement, much like fisherman.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:22 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Gary Rapp wrote:
500lbs is possible but I'd have to see it to believe it too. Many overestimate weight because of excitement, much like fisherman.

Exactly, Gary, and that is why I question things like that. Also it is why I got a set of scales to weigh some of the ones I killed so I could get a good "eyeball" estimate in the future without having to drag them out & weigh em. I now know what a 200 & a 300 look like. It wouild be good to learn what a 400 looked like, lol.

Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:20 am 
SILVER
SILVER

I just found the biggest track I've ever seen - cut a stick & laid inside track & measured it when I got home - 2.5" - I'm guessing around 300 lbs or so - that a fair guesstimate?

[ 12 posts ] 

Board index » WILDBOAR HUNTING AND TRAPPING » WILDBOAR HUNTING TIPS AND TACTICS