Forum    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » BLINDS N FEEDERS

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:49 pm 

I am currently designing my own tripod feeder with a hanging drum and boat winch. Thereis a place just west of Houston where a guy is selling 55 gal drums for $10 each. These are used drums that contained latex paint. I was wondering if these drums would be ok to use for dispersing corn out of a feeder for deer and hogs? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Post Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:52 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Just so you know, when I fill my 55 gallon drum with corm, it weighs 350 pounds. That is a storage drum and not a feeder. That is a lot of weight for a boat winch, in my opinion. Also I think you will have a lot of corn left in the drum when the spinner stops putting out corn because the drum is flat on the bottom. You could make some kind of cone to fit inside to funnel all of the corn to the spinner, but without the funnel, you will have corn left in the drum. Just my two cents. Good luck.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:24 am 

fred winters wrote:
Just so you know, when I fill my 55 gallon drum with corm, it weighs 350 pounds. That is a storage drum and not a feeder. That is a lot of weight for a boat winch, in my opinion. Also I think you will have a lot of corn left in the drum when the spinner stops putting out corn because the drum is flat on the bottom. You could make some kind of cone to fit inside to funnel all of the corn to the spinner, but without the funnel, you will have corn left in the drum. Just my two cents. Good luck.

Yes., I have decided to go with a smaller 30 gal new drum. I am building a tripod frame out of 3x3 angle that will hold just about anything I need to hang on it, but after more research it looks like the 30 gal should be plenty. I plan to install a quality winch also. I have owned many boats and know the winch will handle a lot of weight. I do plan on putting slope bottom in it also for complete emptying. I am building this heavy duty so it will be around long after I'm gone and so that the hogs can't tip it. I'll have about $225 in it when all said and done and it will beat just about any feeder out there. I may even decide to make some for other hunters. I can post pics as I go if anyone is interested.

Thanks for your input, it is appreciated

Taurus .45 ACP semi auto
Taurus .22 mag revolver
12 ga pump
'70 Chevelle SS

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:03 am 
SILVER
SILVER

southtxhntr wrote:
I can post pics as I go if anyone is interested.

Smart move going with the 30 gallon feeder. Of course we want pictures of the building and installation. That how the rest of us learn how to take out more hogs on our place.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:27 am 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

I've built several tripod feeders with the 55gal drums. I bought drum funnels for them that fit inside and funnel corn to the hole in the bottom. They worked great. Without the funnel, the corn in the bottom along the sides will get wet from condensation, sour and ruin the entire drum of corn over time. Always use a funnel.

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

[ 5 posts ] 

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » BLINDS N FEEDERS