Forum    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » BLINDS N FEEDERS

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:11 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Here's what I use for a quick set up feeder that runs a week on one bag of corn.

The body is a 31 gallon trash can (about $20 like: https://www.atwoods.com/miller-little-g ... ggc31.html) with a digital feeder, next to cheapest feeder at Academy when I purchased some. The lid is secured with 2ea 1/4" hexheaded self tapping metal screws to keep out the squirrels and racoons. I hung the feeder with "aircraft stranded cable" (Rated above 250 lbs) I picked up at Home Depot. I formed a suspending handle by running wire from one handle to the other thru a piece of conduit eye-ball cut to length slightly wider than the top of the can. Then a single strand runs to an old Harbor Freight boat winch (item #1 in image above.) The winch was secured to the tree trunk with 3 or 4 lag bolts (2.5 inch long.) The cable was routed via 2 Harbor Freight pulleys that I secured to the tree with a double wrap of bailing wire inside of a cut sections of old garden hose to protect the tree. The cable, pulleys and winch were sprayed with a can of white lithium grease to reduce rusting.

The feeder timer clock was set and two 10 second spins are set. The feeder holds just over 50 lbs of corn. A bag of corn (40~ 50 lbs) will last a week at this rate. The wind can swing the can (as seen in image above during a thunderstorm) so it doesn't have an issue with failing to drop 90+ % of the corn. Since the tree trunk was in the picture, I used some old cheap white latex paint to make a 12 inch band on the trunk with the bottom of the band at 36" to the bottom of the tree. (Marked #2 in image above.) It's not exact as the tree's trunk starts several inches above the ground, but it gives you a reference. You can also attach a rub rug around the trunk if you want and/ or suspend a drip bottle as well.

Using what you might have on hand to improvise will cut costs. If you buy everything new, I estimate you'll be spending around $150. When I built my 1st one, all I had to buy was the cable and pulleys.

The one draw back I found is that full sized squirrels and racoons can hang on to the handles and reach down and around to the spinner area to get more corn. Crisco cooking grease can be your friend here, but it's a little messy if you're not careful.

Semper Fi,

Tom

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:03 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

One I cobbled together with a 35gal drum.

This one is 55gal.

I have 2 drums sitting around ready and 2 spyders built for the top piece out of 2" box tube...just need some roundtuits and a bit of material.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:22 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Good work!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:44 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Great job guys! Sometimes you just have to think outside the box to get the job done.

BTW I am proud to announce that this is my 300th posting on this site. I may not have the really fine stories to tell you all, nor the photos and videos to share, but I do enjoy reading and seeing the stuff you guy put up here.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:20 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

Looks like they're working great for drawing in game. Nice work fella's.

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:50 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

I just hung a feeder from a long steel post between 2 trees, the bottom of the feedr is 5 & 1/2 feet above ground - used 5/16" cable & 5 pulleys - squirrels & coons can't get to spinner on bottom of feedr - although deer can reach with noses & hogs it is free swingin so they won't tear it up. So far, so good with it. Dunno how to post a pic of it, tho

[ 6 posts ] 

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » BLINDS N FEEDERS