Forum    FAQ

Board index » GUNSnAMMO RELOADING OPTICS TRAILCAMS VIDEOS » SCOPES OPTICS NIGHTVISION TRAILCAMS » SCOPES NIGHTVISION

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 11 posts ] 
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:47 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

As much as I like my Nikon 3X32 AR scope, I miss an illuminated recticle. I think I will be buying the TruGlo 3X9X32 illuminated AR scope after my hunt next weekend.

Does anyone have any opinions on TruGlo scopes, good or bad? I would like to hear anything you got to say.

John B

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:53 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

OK, so much for TruGlo. What would you suggest I use?

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:43 pm 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

I ran a search on it, and found mixed reviews at best.
Any illuminated reticle or red dot used at night or in very low light you need to make sure the level of
illumination will go low enough. Too bright, and you won't be able to see the target, as the brightness
will "wash out" what is behind it. I notice you said you miss using an illuminated reticle though, so the
question is, what did you use before ?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:41 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

I used a full size illuminating scope on my bolt rifle. I set the level to the lowest level and chose the red reticle. This with my green kill light was a perfect set up. This is what I miss. I want a small tactical type scope for my AR, not a full size 12" scope. I am finding few candidates. What I am finding is fairly inexpensive (4) and two of these I have never heard of. There is one or two premium scopes that might be close to what I want but I can't drop $500 - $600 dollars. This is why I inquired about the TruGlo. Every one sells them and recommends them but one family member told me his friend had one on a 7.65 and it did not hold up to the recoil. I have never considered a red dot and I know nothing about them but I might look that way. I shoot 70yards max at night. Very rare if I take a 100 yard shot.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:29 pm 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

That was the reason for the mixed reviews. Some of the scopes didn't hold up.
So quality control on the TruGlo must be spotty. Red dots don't have any magnification usually, and
again, I'm not sure all would go to the lower brightness levels. Not too mention the ones I know that do
cost as much as the bigger scopes. ( $500 range or so )
I guess more research will be needed in the quest for something usable and affordable, unless somebody
else on here comes along with some more info.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:24 pm 
GOLD
GOLD

I can't give advice but would like to hear what you come up with as I also am looking to illuminate a reticle on my 6.8
My current scope is massive on the ar and I want get a bolt 308 to put under it.

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:56 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Well, I bought the TruGlo. It was $200 discounted to $160. I never found exactly what I want in my price range. I mounted it with medium lock tight, boar sighted it out of my garage and went to the range two days later. It zeroed in very easy and so far I am happy. It is an IR 3x9x42 tactical scope probably 10" long. It is pretty clear and crisp up to 7, beyond that it looks blurry thru my old eyes. The IR is green or red, bright to dim and it is only the middle part of the cross, maybe 1/2". It seems like it is good to go and it held up to 20 rounds recoil from my 5.56. My last 5 shots at 50 yards was 1/2" from center bulls eye on 5 different targets. I am ready for my all night hog hunt on May 16th. I do hope we still have 67o nights.

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:39 am 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

I don't know about using this on an AR, I don't see why you couldn't?

You can't go wrong with the WEAVER Model 800704;
CLASSIC EXTREME (Illuminated Duplex)
2.5 - 10 X 50MM (30MM tube)
I have used the red dot with just moonlight --- and taken several 300 yard + moonlight DRTs with this scope.
I am very pleased with it.

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:01 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Well. my hog hunt is rained out. I cleaned, oiled and greased the AR15 and the Taurus PT92 pistol Thursday night and received a call Friday that the back of the ranch was under water and we cannot drive in. I rescheduled for next Saturday night but I see rain forcasted thru Thursday. I am not very optimistic right now. Geeez!

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:25 pm 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

Yeah, must be monsoon season all of a sudden.

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:27 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Here in Floresville we have had 12.5" of rain in 2 1/2 weeks. My two week old new white RAM is filthy. I will keep watching the weather. I am chomping at the bit. I did buy two new hog hunting DVD's recently. Maybe that will get me by.

[ 11 posts ] 

Board index » GUNSnAMMO RELOADING OPTICS TRAILCAMS VIDEOS » SCOPES OPTICS NIGHTVISION TRAILCAMS » SCOPES NIGHTVISION