Forum    FAQ

Board index » WILDBOAR HUNTING AND TRAPPING » TEXASBOARS FEEDERLIGHTS

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: TEXASBOARS PRODUCTS ONLY in this forum.

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:25 pm 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

Choosing a battery for a TEXASBOARS FEEDERLIGHT may seem to be a challenging decision. TEXASBOARS does not supply batteries, and for good reasons! Cost being one of those reasons. I am not set up to supply batteries or ship batteries that might weigh 30 or 40 pounds. Most lights won't require heavy batteries but some hunters may choose to, and that option is available.
:arrow: Every hunter is different and has their own set of requirements when it comes to hunting hogs at night. The best way to break down what battery would be best is to first figure out one important question:
:?: How far will you be carrying the battery :?:
Long distances will almost negate large heavy batteries.
Then again, large heavy batteries can operate any of these lights multiple times for incredibly lengthy durations without recharging.

Each TEXASBOARS FEEDERLIGHT has a power rating.

"9 WATT RATING" (3 LEDSs) for the:
SEDNERO 500L - PRO 500L - CLASSIC 1X3 - KRIPTOLITE SERIES.

"18 WATT RATING" (6 LEDs) for the:
SENDERO 1000L - PRO 1000L - CLASSIC 2X6

"27 WATT RATING" (9 LEDs) for the:
SENDERO 1500 and CLASSIC 3X9

The higher the wattage the higher the draw on the battery and the less time a battery will operate a light on a single charge.

Attachment:
7ampsla.jpg

7 or 8 AMP HOUR SLA "above"
9 WATTS - 4 or 5 hours on a single charge.
18 WATTS - 2 or 3 hours.
27 watts - not recommended.

Attachment:
jumpstart.jpg

JUMP START PACK "above"
20 AMP HOUR SLA

9 WATTS - 12 to 15 hours on a single charge.
18 WATTS - 6 or 7 hours.
27 watts - 4 or 5 hours

Attachment:
deepcycle.jpg

DEEP CYCLE MARINE "above"

WEEKS or even months of intermittent nightly use for all lights.

This the customers forum :D
Please feel free to ask any questions to me "KEVIN" or the members who use these lights themselves.
If you have used the lights yourself let us know your personal results.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:07 pm 
HONORED
HONORED

I like the portability of the feeder batteries . They last just fine for my hunts.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:47 am 
GOLD
GOLD

I think it should be mentioned that Academy has smaller deep cycles starting at $50. They are going to be lighter and easier to pack into the woods and will run any Texasboars light all night. Thats if you need that many amp hours, my first light doesn't. I realized last night that I really don't need another battery for my new light, just a 12v power supply as I almost always hog hunt from the back deck and I have 120ac right next to me. I know this will be rare for most but it is another power source possibility.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:14 pm 

To calculate the AH (amp-hour) rating of the battery you need, take the wattage from your feeder lights, divide it by the voltage required (12V), then multiply that by the number of hours you need to power the light.

For instance,

18 Watts feeder light / 12 Volts = 1.5Amps steady current required
1.5A current times 4hr hunt = 6 Amp-Hours (AH)

What about a 9W feeder light on a 6 hour hunt?
9W / 12V = 0.75A
0.75A * 6hrs = 4.5AH

Now go to your local Interstate Battery store or Frys.com or Mouser.com or another vendor of Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) batteries, and look up their 12V models for the particular Amp-Hour rating you need.
For example, at Interstate, a 12AH battery is $48.99. A 5AH battery is $33.99
At Mouser Electronics, a Panasonic 12AH battery is $38.45 and a Power-Sonic 5AH battery is $19.71
In the Dallas area, Fry's carries several 12V sealed lead acid batteries.

One caution about the amp-hour rating: If a battery is rated 12AH, that does not mean you can get 12 amps for 1 hour and 1 amp for 12 hours. There is a discharge curve associated with each battery, and the "simple division" estimate works best for lower currents and longer times than it does for high current and short times. The good thing about the Mouser.com web site is that data sheets for the batteries are available. For instance they show that the Power-Sonic 5AH battery mentioned above can supply 1/4A for 20 hours or .75A for 5 hours, but 2.85A for only 1 hour, etc. So you should typically err on the high side and get a larger AH rating than your calculations indicated.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:33 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

What about solar recharge? If the battery is in a remote location, which almost all hunting situations are remote, how many solar panels are required? What "power curve" or rating is required for solar charging the batteries noted above...or would this be a thread hack and suggested as a separate thread?

[LATE NOTE] More reading on these Forums and I am now better informed that these lights are NOT for mounting on feeders and are more appropriate for either temporary lighting, with refreshed and carried batteries, or fixed lighting with refreshed and carried batteries. Nothing to see here. Back to your lives citizens.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:49 pm 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

[quote="landowner"]What about solar recharge? If the battery is in a remote location, which almost all hunting situations are remote, how many solar panels are required? What "power curve" or rating is required for solar charging the batteries noted above...or would this be a thread hack and suggested as a separate thread?

Try this post,
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=279

Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:06 am 
SILVER
SILVER

I use the marine deep cycle battery, but my setup is a stationary stand that does not require me to move it around. I only turn the lights on when I begin to hunt and off when I am finished and the battery last a really long time.

[ 7 posts ] 

Board index » WILDBOAR HUNTING AND TRAPPING » TEXASBOARS FEEDERLIGHTS