Forum    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » ANTLERS HORNS and FUR

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:14 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

I might have a line on some private land to hunt, but is there options for public land hunting near Childress area? or anywhere from Abilene area north and/or west?

If I cant setup this hunt it would be a quick three + day hunt with a friend. we have a good 4x4 truck and we are not against the hiking and bouldering we will/might have to do to be successful.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:27 am 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

Have you tried searches on line for public lands in those areas ?
I am not familiar with that part of the state myself. However, most land is Texas is privately owned.
Most of the land the public can access is in East Texas as far as I know. Nowhere near the areas
you are talking about.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:49 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

BurtG wrote:
Have you tried searches on line for public lands in those areas ?
I am not familiar with that part of the state myself. However, most land is Texas is privately owned.
Most of the land the public can access is in East Texas as far as I know. Nowhere near the areas
you are talking about.

yes, there is a very good interactive map I found while searching around on the texas fish and game (I think). just don't know much about the sheep populations in those areas, or if they get hit hard or not.

hoping someone would say "ohh ya, I went to this general area and saw some."

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:53 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

Texas is full of Aoudads, or barbary sheep. I've seen them on ranches in the hill country, and ranches up in the panhandle, most notably in the caprock country south of Post, TX. And, in the Palo Duro canyon. There are a few Texas state parks that have them. I think most of those hunts are classified as draw exotic hunts, and you must go through the draw system to get a permit to hunt them. I'm not aware of any public land where you can just show up and hunt them.

If I were to tell you an area to find a private ranch to hunt I'd pick only one area. And, that would be the caprock country south of Post, TX. The large ranches south of Post are full of Aoudads. I've hunted a private ranch there for the past 15yrs or so, and I've never come home empty handed. I have a videoed a herd of Aoudads that numbered well past 60 animals there. I lost count after 60. The ranch I hunted was invitation only, family and friends. The ranches in that area though may offer hunts. I don't really know, as I've never had to research it. All I know is that the caprock country over there is FULL of aoudad sheep. The area in and around the Palo Duro canyon is as well. Every time I've been there I've seen numerous herds of Aoudads.

You might find some high fence ranches that offer hunts. I've never liked those. The thrill of spot and stalking a ram from long distance is usually not available on the smaller high fence ranches. The thrill for me has always been the wide open spaces of the Pan handle and spot and stalk hunting. And, the good thing is that in those area's you may just get a bonus hog or two as they are plentiful out there as well.

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:37 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

thank you mley1. I'll look into those area's. I'm not particularly found of high fence hunts. But the wide open spot and stalk hunts interest me hugely.

I think I have a buddy that will get me into a private area to hunt. Its near Childress, and I guess the sheep are plenty?

I don't know how Childress meshes with the areas you mentioned, i'll get on google maps tonight.

[ 5 posts ] 

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » ANTLERS HORNS and FUR