Forum    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » ANTLERS HORNS and FUR

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Coyotes
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:58 am 

I busted my ankle a few weeks ago and haven't been able to hog hunt with my dogs, so I decided to try my bulldog out as a decoy dog for coyotes. I am planning to get some more beagles this spring for rabbit hunting so I thought it might be a good time to cut down on the the predator population. I was able to call in some coyotes and they were distracted by the dog and came to her without looking for me. We were able to get two instant kills with one that made it to the brush after a short tussle with the dog.

Post subject: Re: Coyotes
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:23 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Just curious, Did the dog have any training prior to taking her on the Coyote Hunt? Sounds like the dog did good!! Congratulations on your success.

Post subject: Re: Coyotes
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:44 pm 

No she was only hunted on hogs before, but she is very game for anything. As far as I know she had never seen a coyote up close. The primary purpose of a dog when calling coyotes is simply to distract the coyote so the hunter can get a shot. One man I know uses Jack Russell terriers with a beeper collar. When he sees a coyote or bobcat he beeps the dogs so that they will come to him luring the varmit straight to him. After the shot the little dogs go make sure that the varmit is dead.
Before dark I took my blackmouth cur male about 2 years old to an abandoned house where he went in and caught a big coon. By the time I got to him the coon was thoroughly whipped. 8-)
Since I can't walk well enough right now to hog hunt the dogs I will keep them busy with what I can do.

[ 3 posts ] 

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » ANTLERS HORNS and FUR