Forum    FAQ

Board index » WILDBOAR HUNTING AND TRAPPING » HOGS WITH DOGS

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Snow & Six More Hogs
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:26 pm 

We had a light snow here on the Red River this afternoon. I thought the hogs might be back out where I had found them earlier in the week. I was right. With the windy afternoons and a lot of work I had not been able to hunt since Monday morning so I was ready to get back at it. I loaded my old yellow female cur, a 17 month old Blackmouth cur male pup and my new bulldog pup female.
I left the house around 5:15. As I drove past the first likely place where I could hunt there were four grown hogs grazing in the wheat field. I left them there in order to check out a bigger place nearer the river. When I pulled up to the field there were about 25 hogs of various sizes in the corn stalks. I drove to within about 150 yards of them and stopped the truck. When I did the hogs actually came toward me to within about 80 yards. I pulled out my Remington 7600 in 308 and hit one hog who made it only a few yards before he went down for good. The rest of the hogs and pigs started north toward the brush along the river. I raced down the field road in the truck in order to get the dogs as close a as possible before turning them loose. When I turned loose the dogs got after them in a sight race. My old yellow female caught a pig and the bulldog helped her out with it. While I dispatched the pig the blackmouth male went after another hog. I pulled the old female and the bulldog off of the pig and started them toward the pup. I walked a long ways north before I finally heard a pig squeal. They had caught one about 25 pounds close to the river. I put this one to sleep too and went to the truck with the dogs.
Now to see about those other four that I had spotted on the way in. Sure enough, when I put the dogs out at that spot they only went a short distance before they bayed up. I walked up and shot a boar hog and another one left out in a hurry. I pulled the dogs off the dead one and started them on this one's track. They went a few hundred yards into a briar patch and bayed again. When I got within forty yards I turned the bulldog pup loose to help out. She went in and got rough. I managed a shot through the brush with the 308 and the hog went down. The neat part is that when I was getting close a second hog that had been at the bay left and my blackmouth pup went after him, so as soon as this hog was down the pup already had the other one bayed up. I pulled the females off the dead one and started them to the pup. They all went in the briars and made things rough for Mr. Pig. When I got to within shooting range (which in these briars is about fifteen feet max) the bulldog pup was caught and the two curs were trying to help. This was a good sized boar and he quickly shook them off so I had the chance to shoot with my 45 and a 200 grain Hornady XTP. I prefer this when the dogs are close so that there is little danger of a shoot through.
I sure do like it when things go well for me and the dogs. The rancher that I work for part time and hunt for really likes it when things go well too. :thumbup:

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:45 am 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

GOOD GOSH MAN. :o
I told you. You needed it to snow more often :lol:

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:44 am 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

:shock: :clap:
Nice job !

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:36 am 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

Yesterday afternoon we had a light dusting of snow.
But, I aint as dedicated as Scott, the hogs were safe.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:13 pm 
HONORED
HONORED

Way to go Scott, that is a great story. I can understand why the ranchers are happy when you come to work with the dogs, it rains dead pigs.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:58 am 
HONORED
HONORED

Scott certainly seems to know what he's doing [!]

http://www.feederlights.com

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:48 pm 

Things just work out better some days than others. I don't usually post about the bad days. 8-) A man that I go to church with who traps told me today that he has caught 39 on the ranch half a mile from where I killed 12 this week. Last year you couldn't hardly find a hog down there though.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:26 pm 
GOLD
GOLD

I hear you on not sharing the bad days. I've only posted one of my bad hunts.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:05 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Wow that does sound like a lot of excitement, I talked with a friend of mine yesterday that has dogs and we planned a trip down to Georgia, can't wait to try them out.

[ 9 posts ] 

Board index » WILDBOAR HUNTING AND TRAPPING » HOGS WITH DOGS