Forum    FAQ

Board index » WILDBOAR HUNTING AND TRAPPING » HOGS WITH DOGS

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: bonus boar
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:11 pm 

We had about four inches of snow on top of rain and sleet today here in North Texas so there was no church service tonight. Since there was no church I decided to drive through the river valley about five o'clock to see if any hogs were out. I had been to the school were I work to turn the heat on so our water wouldn't freeze tonight with the low temp predicted at 15. I didn't have any dogs with me but at 5:04 I spotted a nice big boar hog trotting across a snow covered field. I drove the three miles home loaded my old yellow cur female a 14 month old blackmouth male that has only seen one live hog and a young bulldog female that has never seen a hog at all. When I returned to the field in about 16 minutes the hog was nowhere to be seen. As I was figuring what to do the hog crossed the road 100 yards east of me going toward a barn. I backed up and met him at the barn. When I turned the dogs loose the old female started working the track but she never saw the hog. The blackmouth pup saw the hog and proceeded to run him back north toward the river and the woods. He made it about 700 yards before the hog stopped to fight. This was a big athletic hog that wasn't going to let a yellow pup push him around. The old female finally got to them and they really began to bay hard with the hog fighting like he was mad. He rolled both dogs while I was walking and running to them with the bulldog pup running in front of me. I was about fifty yards from them when the hog stopped fighting the dogs and started looking at me. Here he came in a straight on charge with the two yellow dogs running beside him but not biting him enough to stop him. When he was about fifteen yards away I shot beside him in order to miss the dogs and he ran around me on the south. He went about 125 yards and stopped beside a fence with the two yellow dogs baying hard. When I was about 50 yards away this time I stopped and put a 158 grain 357 XTP hollow point through his left shoulder toward the front which dropped him in his tracks. When he went down the dogs grabbed a hold to wool him a while and the bulldog pup got in there and stayed. She ought to want to catch the next time she gets after one with the cur dogs. All in all it was a good short bonus hunt on a good fighting hog that was perfect for training young dogs with my old female cur.

Post subject: Re: bonus boar
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:21 pm 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

Whew !

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:52 pm 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

You make it sound like it was exciting :thumbup:
you must have been bored during that hunt :lol: Just jokin' with you.
I bet a hunt like that, in the snow, was a real adrenalin rush.
In fact, another hunt you got five in the snow correct :!: :?:

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:53 pm 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

So that's actually 6 in the snow!
Maybe it needs to snow more often.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:36 pm 

It was a lot of fun with some good training and experience for my young dogs. Most of the snow is gone now, but we may be able to find some more this afternoon ahead of the cold weather tonight and later this week.

[ 5 posts ] 

Board index » WILDBOAR HUNTING AND TRAPPING » HOGS WITH DOGS