Forum    FAQ

Board index » WILDBOAR HUNTING AND TRAPPING » HOGS WITH DOGS

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hog Dog Time
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:10 pm 

Now that deer season has wound down it is time to get the dogs out and see about catching a few hogs with them. I enjoy hog hunting with a rifle and scope during deer season but the real fun (and work) comes when running them with my dogs. Maybe I will be able to train a couple of new pups this year too. :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: Hog Dog Time
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:57 am 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

We wish you the very best.
We hope that you'll take the time to post your experiences.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:47 pm 

Well I added one to my year's total with the dogs tonight. Now I am at three for the year. I got two on New Year's day with my 204 ruger shooting out of the truck window in a big wheat field.
Tonight I carried my four year old Plott female and a one year old Mountain Cur male that had never seen a live hog. I jumped a whole lot of hogs in a big pastured wheat field and chased one big sow across the field with the truck in order to wind her for the pup to have an easier race for his first potential hog hunt. When the sow crossed the fence I turned the dogs loose and the race was on with the Plott female leading the way and the Mountain Cur pup opening like he had done it for years. They only ran her about six hundred yards before she bayed up. When I finally caught up with them the Plott female who is a pretty aggressive bay dog was working her beautifully and so was the Mountain Cur pup. He wasn't afraid to let her know that he had teeth to go with his bark, but he had enough sense to stay away from her front end. :thumbup: This pup was one that my brother had given up on at one year old for a squirrel and coon dog, but it looks like he will make a hog dog. 8-) He handles great as he has been fooled with by my nephews for the last year and hunted some.

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:47 pm 

Scott Penick wrote:
Well I added one to my year's total with the dogs tonight. Now I am at three for the year. I got two on New Year's day with my 204 ruger shooting out of the truck window in a big wheat ...... for the last year and hunted some.

That's a good read. I'd like to come play along sometime. I've been with other friends who just don't go out much these days. You accepting of a tag along?

[ 4 posts ] 

Board index » WILDBOAR HUNTING AND TRAPPING » HOGS WITH DOGS