Forum    FAQ

Board index » GUNSnAMMO RELOADING OPTICS TRAILCAMS VIDEOS » GENERAL GUNS AND LOADS

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: copper solvent
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:25 pm 
GOLD
GOLD

I lost my accuracy I once had with my 22 Mag. I switched scopes and still poor results. I tried different ammo and got the same poor results. I may need to clean the copper fouling from the barrel. Is this done with a bronze brush? Is it left in overnight before cleaned out with regular solvent? Please tell me what to do here.

Post subject: Re: copper solvent
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:25 pm 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

You might want to read through this:
http://www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:37 pm 
GOLD
GOLD

I read that and am assuming that under the copper removal section the Hoppes #9 is Hoppes copper solvent and not Hoppes #9 bore cleaner. It doesn't specify. That's what I had, that's what I used. Checked bases. Checked rings. Cleaned barrel, which didn't appear dirty, can't really see copper fouling in a 22 cal so I'll assume it's good. Cycled some ammo to check for damage and saw none. I was told on Rimfirecentral to check the action screws. The only screws I can find on this gun hold the stock on and another holds the trigger mechanism on. I leave to go to the woods tomorrow and will shoot Sunday, wish me luck.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:38 am 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

Ok, good luck. heh
Let us know how it goes.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:45 pm 

I use Montana X-Treme Copper Killer along with Butch’s Bore Shine. Follow up with Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner and it works great.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:05 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

Once accuracy degrades, it's definitely time to clean out the bore. Once cleaned of all copper and residue, it may take some fouling shots to get it back to good accuracy. I've found that some of my rifles like to shoot with a dirty bore. And, they'll shoot accurately for quite a long time. Once their accuracy degrades, I just clean the bore real good. Then take them to the range and put a box or two through the bore. Good as new.

If that doesn't work to help get your accuracy back, I'd look at all screws on the bases and rings of your scope. I'd also look at your stock real close. If it's wooden it could have swelled or shifted. Also, the action mounting screw, or screws, may have loosened or shifted.

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

[ 6 posts ] 

Board index » GUNSnAMMO RELOADING OPTICS TRAILCAMS VIDEOS » GENERAL GUNS AND LOADS