Forum    FAQ

Board index » GUNSnAMMO RELOADING OPTICS TRAILCAMS VIDEOS » GENERAL GUNS AND LOADS

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: I hate gun "salesmen"...
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:08 am 

So I was at Academy (and a few other of the bigger stores) yesterday. Was looking for a new rifle for my son's 14th birthday... he threw me a curve-ball and said he didn't want the 10/22 that I was going to get him but did want a new hog/deer/coyote gun... so since I obviously CAN'T argue with his logic on this, we went looking for a new rifle. Mom won't let me spend what I want to for him so we started looking at the lower end guns like the Savage Axis, Ruger American and the big box store 700's. I'm partial to the 700's of course but the boy seems to like the Axis.

It took exactly one comment for me to determine that the older guy behind the counter at Academy was an idiot... He said that Howa was just a new company started by some guys who used to work at Weatherby... dropped him right down into the idiot category in my book.

Then, when I was looking at a 700 SPS Tactical, he called it a "brush gun" and said that it wouldn't be any good for longer shots because it wouldn't be accurate past 100 or 150 yards... down to the double idiot category...

I love those minimum wage salesmen...

Mikey

Post Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:20 am 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

The thing is, how many people that don't know much about the subject to start with end up taking
bad advice from sales types like that ? Misinformation, old wives tales, myths, and all of that.. :roll:

Post Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:27 am 

That's the worst part about it... at least most of us know enough to throw up the BS flag... most don't and end up with something that may be marginal for what they actually do.

Why can't I find a 7mm-08 in stock in San Antonio? There were about 5,000 .243's, a few .270's, a number of .308's, a bunch of .30-'06's but only ONE 7mm-08 (and it was a higher end gun).

mikey

Post Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:12 am 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

Why no 7mm-08s ? Easy. Because you are looking for one. ( Murphy strikes again ) :wtf:

Post Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:50 pm 

murphy sucks... but I did see a Ruger American with a hang tag that said... ".380 ACP". It took me two times of talking to the "salesman" to convince him the tag was wrong and it needed to be reprinted.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:05 pm 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

:lol:

Post Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:10 pm 
GOLD
GOLD

Same thing at bass pro. I was looking for a new scope for my 22 and the ones over $50 are in the glass case. I look back and forth and decide I want to see a Nikon and a bushnell. I ask the older gentleman if I may see the two and what is the parallax setting on each. "The what", he says. Now that's not the bad part because i too had only recently learned about parallax. After I explain it to him, he picks one up, looks at the wall through it and says, "this one is at about 100 yards". After he try's to get me to put a $400 luepold on a beat up 10/22, I ask a couple other questions and he throws up his hands and says,"you can find this stuff on the internet you know". I told him, "I can buy one on the internet too you know" and left. That's not the first time I've had poor service from the guys behind that counter. Bad thing is, when the are talking to someone who doesn't know better they have a god like attitude, not cool.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:11 pm 
GOLD
GOLD

Lower price means lower customer service I guess

Post Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:14 pm 

Lower wages mean less experience and lower levels of customer service. Now, I'm not argueing for an arbitrary increase in minimum wage or anything like that. But, really, the general staff and checkers at most places SHOULDN'T make as much as the guys who are making recommendations and helping people to purchase lethal weapons. There should also be a qualification test for folks who sell guns/ammo.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:07 pm 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

:crazy: My wife always to tell me to"call them and ask"
Call WalMart, Academy, or any other big chain and ask them a question :thumbdown:
It's possible you might get lucky, but it's about like pulling the handle on a "One Arm Bandit" :thumbdown: :lol:

Just today we had an emergency. We needed aluminum. Round tubing.
1" with 1/8 wall.
Oh yeah we have that. Patrick drives 80 miles one way.
Result :arrow: NO, we don't carry that
We have 1" with 0.188 inch wall not 0.125 :evil:

GET THIS :arrow: he pays for it, asks they cut it in half.
They bring out 1' SQUARE TUBING with a 0.125 wall.
:twisted: Then they won't take it BACK/refund him his money!
He also pays for the 1" tubing cause we MUST HAVE IT.

:o I'm now in the hole about 375.00 for this job! Not only that, I have almost double the machine work required to get the pieces finished.

:clap: Life is a challlangggge :crazy:

SO, we now have a bunch of freekin aluminum we have no use for.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:47 pm 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

More Murphy !

Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:17 am 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

I won't listen to ANYTHING a sales person says at Academy, Walmart, Basspro....etc. It seems NONE of them knows a durn thing about guns. At Academy recently a young salesman was trying to show a customer how an over and under shotgun broke down. The idiot got it apart, but couldn't get it back together. I thought the guy was gonna break the gun. So, volunteered to show him how it was done. He was embarrassed a bit, but learned how to put the shotgun back together. Then, another time, a customer explained to a salesman at Academy that he had a Kimber 1911, and wanted to know if it's ok to shoot the cheap Blaser ammo in it. The salesman proceeds to tell this guy that it would jam his gun, and break it. And, that he should buy nothing but the most expensive ammo cause the Kimbers jam all the time on cheap stuff. Well, I own a Kimber, and have owned SEVERAL other Kimbers. I shoot NOTHING but cheap ammo. I can't afford to shoot the expensive stuff, cause I shoot quite often. Keep your Kimmy clean and lubed, and she'll run ANY of the cheap ammo. NONE of my Kimmies ever jammed due to ammo. So, I couldn't help myself. I called him on his BS in front of everybody there, and helped the customer understand a bit about 1911's, and Kimbers in particular.

Did I mention I can't stand idiot gun salesman??!!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:56 am 
HONORED
HONORED

:clap: :clap: :clap:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:crazy:
Now that says it all :angel:

http://www.feederlights.com

Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:00 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

I actually had a good experience with the glass salesman @ Cabela's in Buda.
I went in prepared to plunk down a considerable of $$$$, I went out with money in my pocket & MUCH better glass than what I went in to buy.
Loved it so much I went back & bought another one from him. :thumbup:
But yeah you can really run into some Fudd's out there sometime.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:51 am 
GOLD
GOLD

TEXASBOARS wrote:
:crazy: My wife always to tell me to"call them and ask"
Call WalMart, Academy, or any other big chain and ask them a question :thumbdown:
It's possible you might get lucky, but it's about like pulling the handle on a "One Arm Bandit" :thumbdown: :lol:

Just today we had an emergency. We needed aluminum. Round tubing.
1" with 1/8 wall.
Oh yeah we have that. Patrick drives 80 miles one way.
Result :arrow: NO, we don't carry that
We have 1" with 0.188 inch wall not 0.125 :evil:

GET THIS :arrow: he pays for it, asks they cut it in half.
They bring out 1' SQUARE TUBING with a 0.125 wall.
:twisted: Then they won't take it BACK/refund him his money!
He also pays for the 1" tubing cause we MUST HAVE IT.

:o I'm now in the hole about 375.00 for this job! Not only that, I have almost double the machine work required to get the pieces finished.

:clap: Life is a challlangggge :crazy:

SO, we now have a bunch of freekin aluminum we have no use for.

I suspect that metal yard has made the list of places to never spend a red cent again?

Post Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:27 am 
HONORED
HONORED

There are some (there is one) kind, generous, knowledgeable, salesmen.
KEVIN <------ :thumbup:
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
TOOOOT TOOOOT

Post Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:20 pm 

I went into a Gander mountian heard the sales man telling a cust. that a .308 isn't an accurate rd past 200 yds. I couldn't take it anymore and told him where he could stick his advice. when I told him it is the only rd used in Palma competion and shot out to 1000 yrds with open sights. He said nobody could hit any thing at 1000 yrds with open sights. I told the customer to do what he wanted and walked out of the store.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:15 pm 
HONORED
HONORED

waterguy631 wrote:
I went into a Gander mountian heard the sales man telling a cust. that a .308 isn't an accurate rd past 200 yds. I couldn't take it anymore and told him where he could stick his advice. when I told him it is the only rd used in Palma competion and shot out to 1000 yrds with open sights. He said nobody could hit any thing at 1000 yrds with open sights. I told the customer to do what he wanted and walked out of the store.

:o :crazy: The 308 is legendary for accuracy.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:47 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

waterguy631 wrote:

The salesman must have been pushing the new .338 lapua WSSM BMG magnum :crazy:

Post Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:11 am 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

Quote:
.338 lapua WSSM BMG magnum

heck YEAH
now that's a round I could sink my teeth into :lol:

[ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » GUNSnAMMO RELOADING OPTICS TRAILCAMS VIDEOS » GENERAL GUNS AND LOADS