Forum    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » CAMPFIRE CHAT

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 12 posts ] 
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:13 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Effective August 1, you can hunt feral hogs in our state year round. So glad that law went into effect. Love my hog hunting!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:03 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Great news! Keep us posted.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:21 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Ronnie wrote:
Great news! Keep us posted.
Have you been killing any lately? I recently had some move in on my own property, got 4 of them, the biggest about 270 lbs - only sizeable hog I've killed all year. You commented several months ago about seeing a bear while hog hunting - while I didn't see him, I saw a tree that one had clawed on our hunting club. There are a few roaming the woods in our area, but not many - good luck with the hogs!

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:15 am 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Hogs have been hit & miss so far this year. Only 6 taken this year. Large boar hasn’t been on cam in 6 weeks, based on cam footage he’s 1/2 as big as my cart. 7 bachelor hogs running together show about every 2 weeks. Large sow left her 2 shoats to have piglets, I killed the shoats, she showed last week with the piglets. Appears the dominate boar from the bachelor group has found a 100 lb sow to run with & they are coming in about once per week. Going to put out corn Sunday after church, again Wed. I’ve found the bear don’t waste effort if I use a spreader to put out corn, but if I throw by hand they’ll lay on the ground and crawl around eating corn, bears tear up feeders. I’m getting ready to take some of those hogs as soon as the wind shifts next week, full moon is perfect timing. Either killed most last year or the ones that survived decided to leave, probably the latter. Using 5 cams & a plotwatcher to see the hogs and get the times. Do you know of a bear proof feeder? LOL
GOODLUCK! Stay safe & keep us posted

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:17 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

I've come to respect an adult boar's wariness more than some deer - the location where I usually kill most hogs, I've only killed one there at night this year - feeder shy!!! Apparently they've learned to associate corn with death, lol - seriously, tracks within 30 yds of feeder but wouldn't come to it - also, a mile north of there I killed several, then they quit coming around entirely. A huge boar 300 yds north of there and he would not come near that feeder, I know because of the size of his track - I set up on him where he had several wallows, and he moved out - I left area, he came back, then I returned, and he left out again. I will have to just luck out to kill him, he's not coming to corn and apparently he's patterning me more than I am him - smart old joker! I'm not aware of any bear proof feeders - 2 years ago I had two feeders tore up by hogs which were 5' above ground, so I used one inch square metal stripe to build a cage around the battery/timer box and it has worked, it's solid as can be but I bet a bear could take it down, lol. Good luck to ya, & God bless!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:23 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

The mosquitoes are really bad here, this year - I found out the hard way you can not use a therma cell while hog hunting - I watched two hogs approach the feeder, in the brush, smelled the therma cell, and left - next night, I just toughed it out with the mosquitoes, and killed a boar about 130 lbs. Their noses are really good - cold front moving through our area tonight, so maybe cool weather will help with the scent problem - I notice every year I kill the most, and biggest, hogs in the March-May time frame before really hot weather sets in.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:48 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Congrats on the kill! Targets should be plentiful for me this weekend, put out 1/2 bag of corn today, more going Wed-Thursday. Saw 2 cross my narrow trail today. Appeared to be a 200 boar cane thru in last 2 days.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:03 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Good luck! Get that big one - hopefully he will find that corn and come right to it, and bring some others, as well - keep us posted!

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:59 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

5 hogs came in about 9 pm. Bullet went thru 1st hog dropping the boar DRT behind her at 150 yds. Sow was mortally hit in lungs but ran towards me, anchor shot was running right at me about 100 yds. Bear came in checked out the 2 hogs but preferred the spread corn. Coyote came in about 10:30 pm was headed to hog when shot DRT at 90 yds. Boar about 100 lbs, sow about 175-200 lbs.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:32 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

update: Ran heater to keep scent off the ground, the bear and coyote came in from downwind so they didn't pick up my scent at night. When I went in daylight to retrieve the hogs and coyote.... something dragged off the sow making a 3 foot swath thru the brush. I went back in to check cams and there was another coyote checking blood where I had just left. I got off a shot but it was a snap shot so I may have missed, crosshairs were on that dog so it could have been a hit.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:35 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Congrats! You're doing some great shooting - a bear came in & checked the 2 dead hogs out? Wow - that was one exciting hunt. You must be in a really good location - I think that bear hangs out there, as you've seen him several times. Be careful - I hear that black bears eat what they kill - watch your back!

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:48 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

Gotta love it when a plan comes together!! Congratulations on an nice pig.

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

[ 12 posts ] 

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » CAMPFIRE CHAT