Forum    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » CAMPFIRE CHAT

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Buck Fever :
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:47 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

I'll start by telling stories on the 'kids.' (He's now 38 yrs old :) ) Back when my youngest was about 13 yrs old, he and his best buddy took their Hunter Education Course together. They had also been going to the local range with me and they could shoot fairly well out to 200 yds. As deer season came around, we took up my daughter and her husband's invitation to hunt the back of their property. My youngest had a Savage youth .243 Win with 85 gr original Barnes X-Bullets. His buddy had his Grandpa's .222 Rem with 55 gr bullets. I put my son behind some gate posts on a power right of way with a max 100 yd shot. (He had experience on his rifle from the range.) I placed his buddy about 50 yards away, the opposite shooting direction, overlooking a creek crossing with a max 50 yd shot. I then went back to the house about 200 yds away to drink coffee and stay warm. Just after daylight, I heard 3 fairly fast shots and decided to go see what had happened. It seems that a nice buck had walked down the power right of way toward my youngest. The closer that buck got to my son, the more excited he got. When the buck got to about 20 yards, my son decided to shoot. On the first 2 shots, the buck just jumped up and looked around when he landed. With only 1 shot left in the magazine, my son then decided to use the scope on the rifle to aim. The 3rd shot killed that nice 10 point buck. (His older brother was working and had told him he would mount a 10 point of bigger head. I wound up paying half the cost. :) ) The youngest still has that head mount.

About 30 minutes later, his buddy had a nice buck walk thru his area at the creek crossing. Sadly, he didn't shoot the deer as he learned that old lesson that the rifle doesn't go "bang" unless you move the safety from 'on' to 'fire.'

Kids also get as excited with 'Buck Fever' as adults...

Semper Fi,

Tom

Post subject: Re: Buck Fever :
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:13 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

Great story! I still get that excitement, buck fever. If I ever stop getting it, I'll probably stop hunting.

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:01 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Yes, love the stories - telling, and reading about, hunts are definitely part of the fun and excitement - and, like Marty said, if you ever lose that, it's time to hang it up!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:39 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

A War Hero's Deer Hunt:

After Vietnam, I wound up at MCAS Yuma, Az (Marine Corps Air Station.) (I'm infantry so that's another story in itself :) ) Strangely, about 1/3 of the MPs and CID were Infantry Marines. Yuma was great back then (1971)... A wealth guy died and willed some great rifle and pistol ranges to the public as well as a stipend for an on-site caretaker. There were tons os 2~4 pound channel catfish in canals that surrounded Yuma. Cottontails harassed the veggie farmers ( all you had to do was ask politely and you could hunt them almost anywhere) with jackrabbits to the sides of the crop fields. The rabbits provided great food for abundant fox and coyotes to have huge families. Ducks and geese visited in the cold winters, where the temps dropped low into the 60's :)... Special Services provided free ammo for 'training.' You could check out bolt action Win. Model 70's in 30-06 and Rem 870 shotguns for a couple weeks at a time for hunting. I was also shooting on the Base pistol team, so I had a couple of customized 1911's and a .22lr Hi Standard customised target pistol. I thought I was in heaven there. The Herter's Mail Order Catalogue was where you ordered your varmint and duck call. :)

One of my best friends there was LF. LF was a tanker in 'Nam at Khe Sanh during the Tet Offensive and was pretty well decorated for his actions. He moved from a Desk Sgt over to CID to work. He liked to shoot, so we got LF to check out a Model 70 and start practicing for Deer season with our group of friends at the rifle range. LF was getting ready for his 1st deer hunt.

Our hunting group was made up of 4 Marines who had served in 'Nam. A 'Turn Key,' (Brig Sgt);, LF, a Sgt from CID; the PMO's Admin Chief, Sgt of Pencil Pushing; and me, a Desk Sgt at the PMO. Our hunting area was on the Army's Yuma Proving Grounds on their Western edge where the Rockies started. Scouting trips showed that the best vehicle between us was the Admin's VW bus. It was light enough to go far enough in to avoid the crowds. We would hunt the dried creek washes/ flows that held the mesquite trees and possible food sources. We could hump over the foothills of the mountains to different creek flow areas to hunt as required.

We all got 72 hr passes for the start of deer season that year. From the check-in posts, we drove past the hoards of civilians and their ATVs and 4-wheel drives. We drove North and West to the start of the Mountains. When we hit a scouted flat creek drain, we turned more Westerly and left civilization behind. We drove up thru the trees until we spooked a nice big mule buck. We reversed a couple hundred yards and set up camp for the night. Just before dawn the next morning, we were awaken by a couple of ATVs driving thru our area trying to heard deer back toward their hunting partners. We were angry, but decided to hunt farther up the washes into the mountains in pairs. (My partner was the Turn Key.)

We hunted hard, looking across the gravel/ sand for tracks and searched the trees and shrubs for horns. About lunch, we were down a canteen of water and LF and his Admin partner had signaled us for a meeting. They were going back to camp and fix chow and grab some iced down sodas. The Turn Key and I got LF to accompany us across a toe and checking out the next washed out creek bed. When we got to the next wash, LF said he was "starving' and headed down that wash toward the camp area while Turn Key and I hunted up the wash. About 30 minutes later, the Turn Key and I heard what sounded like one of those "city boys" firing off 4 or 5 shots quickly from what we thought had to be a semi-auto weapon. After a suitable pause for 'cussing and fussing' about such a silly hunter, we started walking back down the wash following LF's tracks. After about 10 minutes, we heard the unmistakable sounds of something running on the gravel and making a crunching sound. Maybe that 'silly hunter' had chased a buck our way, so we got ready to shoot. As the 'crunching' sounds got near us, a huge mule deer Doe rounded around the next corner of the wash and shae raced past us at about 20 feet. The Turn Key and I then discussed the fact that the doe was indeed a monster, but we only had tags for bucks. We continued on our way back to camp following LF's tracks that now had the doe's tracks as well and we started wondering...

Within a few minutes, we heard even louder sounds of 'crunching' in the gravel/ sand wash's surface. We looked at each other and got ready for anything at this point. And, what did our wondering eyes see coming around the next corner in the wash but LF running. Both his arms were held away from his sides waving as he ran, his Model 70 held in his right hand with the bolt fully retracted and dangling. LF ran up to us and breathlessly asked if we'd seen his big buck he'd just shot. I offered him a canteen of water as the Turn Key explained that we had only seen a big doe and pointed at her tracks in the wash. As LF calmed down a bit and caught his breath, I suggested that he reload his rifle in case we spotted his buck. We asked LF to show us the spot where he had shot the buck so we could look for his tracks and blood tail. LF led us back down the wash, following his footprints as well as those from the doe. A few turns later, LF pointed to a thicket of mesquite trees where he said he had seen the big buck. He said it had horns as big as those mesquite trees. About 30 feet from that sot was a pile of four 30-06 brass cases LF had ejected from his rifle. LF had been shooting store bought Win 180 gr spire point soft point bullets in his rifle. If he had hit the deer, there would have been two holes from a complete pass thru of the expanded bullet, so we searched for any blood sign. The only thing we found were the single set of tracks that came from the doe we had followed to this point. In talking to LF later, he said he hadn't really aimed as it was only 10 yards when he looked up and saw the deer. LF did not get his deer this hunt; but, he had learned that you really need to use your sights.... On this hunt, I got to see my first Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep thru my scope on a mountain side on the opposite side of a wash we were hunting...

Semper Fi,

Tom

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:21 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

Man, what memories that hunt gave you! Great story! I could see the hills, washes, and the mesquite tree's. Pretty cool hunting and camping out of a VW too I bet. Thanks for sharing your hunting adventure with friends. And, thank you all for your service!

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:00 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Amen, thank you for your service, and keep those good hunting stories coming our way! I understand about seeing "horns" in a bush, lol, a friend and I were deer hunting and one ran up about 50 yards and stopped behind a bush - we both fired and the deer went down - buck season only - it was a doe- we both swore we saw horns - we snuck it out and it tasted good! But excitement can make horns "appear", lol.

[ 6 posts ] 

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » CAMPFIRE CHAT