Forum    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » CAMPFIRE CHAT

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:55 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

OK, I'm old and have been hunting and fishing since the early 1950's. I've seen a few changes in shooting sports that reminded me of my late Grandma's admonition to save my clothes and ties because they'd come back in fashion in the future. The changes are starting to remind me of that old saying about most fishing lures being made to catch fishermen. :)

In my opinion, most high power hunting rounds fire a hunting bullet down range at from 2,6oo fps to 3,000 fps. Most hunting bullets are designed to expand from around 1,800 fps and up. Lower power expanding bullets have been around since the early black powder days and metallic cartridges from the later 1800's. (They just used soft lead back then.) Back then, the lead bullets would 'expand' or distort below 1,000 fps.

There are the "new" above average power or 'magnum' cartridges. Basically, they are a bigger cartridge case per caliber to allow burning more bullet propellant to achieve higher bullet velocities. Those Old West Buffalo rifles that almost wiped out the entire North American bison herds were usually single shot rifles, .40 to .60 caliber rifles that fired heavy lead bullets around 1,000 fps. Their long range performance was excellent even tho their trajectories looked like a baseball thrown from next to an outfield fence to the catcher at home plate in a baseball game.

Back in the 1930's during the Great Depression, my late Father was raised by my Great Grandma in the piney woods of N.W. Nacogdoches County, Tx. The families in that area killed off all the deer and turkeys in that area. (It took 40 years to restore the deer there.) Their hunting weapons were either a 12 ga shotgun or a Winchester 94 .44-40 rifle. He used to tell me that old Winchester had the trajectory of a Rainbow. (A rifle firing a pistol cartridge, what a concept.) :)

I've done some research to supplement my lifetime of hunting. As best I can determine, the animals have not gotten any harder to kill. They have not evolved any new special powers. Nor have they gotten any smarter, they have just adjusted to having more people in their environments.

So, why do we have all the new cartridges and rifles ? Developers and manufacturers have improved the science and materials in our rifles and cartridges to improve their efficiency and accuracy. Barrels have shortened from the 48" lengths down to manageable 18~24 inch lengths for hunting rifles making them more manageable in the field. The excessive recoil of magnums have been reduced by increased rifle weight and now muzzle breaks further reduce the shooter's felt recoil (while increasing the noise to the shooter.) The bullet manufacturers of today have developed what I would say are 'super bullets' compared to bullets of the 1950's. The 'wildcat cartridge' community is still tinkering with new combinations of bullets with different cases. Weapons manufacturers have spun off new semiautomatic rifles to assist hunters.

One trend that I've seen are manufacturers have developed small calibers (originally with high velocities out of rifles) into pistols with barrels too short to develop full cartridge potential. I have no issues with the Boys and their Toys; but, don't put lipstick on a pig and call it a Playboy model, please. I personally don't see the need due to the costs being so much high than a .22LR rimfire (in some cases) for a plinking weapon. Yea, I know, everyone has an opinion. And, yes, there were some that said there was no need for such an overpowered cartridge when Winchester introduced the Winchester 30-30 cartridge. (Tom Horn disagreed, but then ...) I have also personally known Yuma Indians who said that the .22 LR 40 gr. solid @ 1240 fps was overpowered for their deer hunting (10 foot or less head/ neck shots while next to a water tank.)

With all this said, my opinion is that there are a lot of basically 'baits' on the market to catch hunters just like they sell those 'new and improved' fishing lures. There are also a lot of folks out there doing reviews and expounding the virtues things they know little about... That's my opinion, what's yours ? :)

Semper Fi,

Tom

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:02 pm 
GOLD
GOLD

I agree that we have too many cartridges and more on the way. Like you said, most of these are to catch the shooter who has to have the latest and greatest, and that's OK with me. Seems you are somewhat disgruntled about it though.

I will disagree that we had all the cartridges we needed 100 years ago. Some of the new (60 years or newer) ones are better. I shoot a 7-08AI because I like to shoot steel out to 800 so far. I'm really glad I don't have to use a .40-.60 caliber like you mentioned has "excellent long range performance". I use a 6.8 SPC to kill hogs. It's light, deadly, and recoil is minimal. I chose it not because it has super powers, but because the similar existing old cartridges don't come in semi-auto and I like to kill as many hogs as possible before they run off. Besides, my lever action 30-30 looks funny with a suppressor.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:40 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

My dad started me off deer hunting with a Winchester model 94 in 30-30. It had open sights, and at the range 100yrds was not too hard to hit the target. However, when I tried shooting deer with it I couldn't hit one to save my life. On my 15th birthday my dad gave me a Remington model 700 ADL in 30-06, and it had a Tasco 3-9 scope on it. I slayed a lot of deer with that bolt gun over the years. I'm now in my 50's. I've bow hunted and rifle hunted my whole life. Yet, now in my 50's, I yearned for something new and exciting. Enter the AR bug. I started when I retired from TDCJ. I treated myself to a Windham Weaponry AR15 in 5.56. It was mostly a fun gun, maybe home defense. I wanted more. Enter Palmetto State Armory, and their awesome AR and parts deals. Plus, I've built a couple, one of which is a Seekins Precision. Well, now I have 5 AR rifles. One in .308, one in 6.8 SPC II, two in .223 Wylde, and the original WW 5.56 SRC. All of the wear some form of optics, mostly all are Vortex optics of some type. And, I absolutely LOVE shooting them. I LOVE tinkering with them, and modifying them, and just having fun shooting them. It is FUN lining up some soda cans that have been shaken, and blasting them. It's FUN lining up some cantalopes or apples, or tomatoes, and blasting them. It's fun shooting steel at long range. These rifles are just a ton of fun to shoot, and hunt with. I've hunted with each of them. I've killed turkeys, hogs, deer, coyotes, and some racoons with them.

I have hunted with, and started my kids out on, an old Rossi single shot .243. I've also used a single shot 300WM. And, I've used muzzle loaders. And, NOTHING I've hunted with even comes close to being as fun for me as my AR's. I truly enjoy using them. And, I plan to build more.

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:05 pm 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

Marty, you know those AR-15's are evil ! haha :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:08 am 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

BurtG wrote:
Marty, you know those AR-15's are evil ! haha :lol:

So I hear. I hear the uninformed berating the Assault Rifles(Armalite Rifle) all the time, and they have no clue. That new demoncrap senator candidate doesn't thing AR rifle should be sold in America. Screw him, and his fake hispanic nickname.

As for our AR-15's, AR-10's, or whatever you want to call the modern sporting rifle, I'm discovering just how versatile they really are. Today I'm going to the range to shoot the 6.8 SPC II I put together. Hopefully, if I did everything right, all goes well and I'll have a good shooting rifle.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:51 pm 
GOLD
GOLD

Marty are you referring to Beto? You having been in corrections, I'm sure you know. Down in East Texas where I come from the are 2 Betos, Beto 1 and Beto 2. We always pronounced it different though. Right next to Gurney, Michael, Coffield, and Powledge.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:51 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

Gary Rapp wrote:
Marty are you referring to Beto? You having been in corrections, I'm sure you know. Down in East Texas where I come from the are 2 Betos, Beto 1 and Beto 2. We always pronounced it different though. Right next to Gurney, Michael, Coffield, and Powledge.

Those units are farther north than the units where I hunt. I've hunted on mostly Darrington, Ramsey, and Clemons units. There down along the Gulf Coast in Brazoria county.

I am familiar with them though. Back in the 90's I used to hunt on some TDC land across the river from Coffield. Best dang hunting I've ever had. It was fantastic. My friend back then had a connection. His father inlaw was the deputy director of TDC, and got us on the land. Only lasted two years and folks started complaining about the big wheels playing favorites, with personal leases on state land and such. It just so happened, I was one of the privileged back then. I sure miss it. We had a lodge on the land and everything. Most fun I've had hunting in a long long time. That was before we adopted our kids. We killed a bunch of deer and some great hogs off that place. Melissa killed a really huge hog off that place.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:12 am 
GOLD
GOLD

You would have been no more than a few miles from our place then I think. On the west side of the Trinity. We are covered up in hogs now-a-days. I can't kill enough.

[ 8 posts ] 

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » CAMPFIRE CHAT