Forum    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » CAMPFIRE CHAT

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hogs killed out???
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:30 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

We "had" hogs everywhere - far too many, nuisance for everyone on our hunting lease. They hunted them, relentlessly, with dogs, from January through April into early May. During much of that time, the swamp was flooded, which ran the hogs to dry ground and I assume couldn't escape the dogs. Now, I see no sign, and no pics on my game cameeras except 4-5 small ones in one location. Could htey have killed 90% of them with dogs, or am I to think that maybe they were poisioned? Tell me what y'all think.

Post subject: Re: Hogs killed out???
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:48 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Give it time, they will be back.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:46 am 
GOLD
GOLD

I doubt they killed 90%. You don't have to kill to remove. Think about war refugees. Put enough pressure on anything and away it goes. They will come back.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:32 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

Hogs will change patterns or locations for a variety of reasons, pressure being one of them. They'll also move due to their feeding and bedding area's being flooded out. And, in area's where crops are they'll move to take advantage of food sources in the fields. Normally, if you find the food you'll find the hogs. They'll have trails to and from the food areas to their bedding areas.

In your case you've gotten a double whammy, hog doggers AND floods.

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:57 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

mley1 wrote:
Hogs will change patterns or locations for a variety of reasons, pressure being one of them. They'll also move due to their feeding and bedding area's being flooded out. And, in area's where crops are they'll move to take advantage of food sources in the fields. Normally, if you find the food you'll find the hogs. They'll have trails to and from the food areas to their bedding areas.

In your case you've gotten a double whammy, hog doggers AND floods.

Thanks, Marty - I didn't think about them possibly going that far, because when they could chase deer with dogs the deer didn't leave, just turned nocturnal. I'm guessing that they did leave, because the west side of the swamp wasn't accessible to dog hunters, & although it flooded, too, I cross over there & don't see fresh sign there, either, so maybe the flood caused them to leave the area, too. We have a lot of pin oak acorns, which will begin to start dropping in about 3-4 weeks, so will see if some return. A really bummer year for me, spent MANY hours on stand watching nothing but raccoons & possums, lol.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:50 am 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

Something else that happens this time of year Troyo is deer hunters will be setting up feeders, and cranking them up to pour out the corn. The hogs will travel to get their crack candy. So, if there's lots of deer hunters doing this it can spread the hogs out a bit, and they may start hitting feeders on a circuit. However, once acorns start dropping they'll go to the acorns. I've seen this year after year. Prior to the acorns hogs can be hitting the feeders. Once the acorns drop, the corn under feeders piles up unless deer or other critters eats it. I have a friend of mine that experiences this every year, and I know many others besides myself that have experienced the same thing.

Once the acorns start dropping I'd be hunting the acorns. They're better than corn for drawing the hogs. Another mast that I've seen hogs go crazy for are pecans. On one place I had there was a small grove of about five pecan trees. I put a ladder stand under one of them where I could see under all of them. I killed several hogs, and several deer with my bow from that ladder stand. They absolutely loved the pecans. Pecan trees aren't as numerous in most woods though.

On the oaks, white oaks seem to be better than red oaks. White oaks from what I understand are more sweet, and have a smoother shell, with leaves that have rounded lobes. Red oaks are more bitter, have a more fuzzy shell, and have pointy tips on their leaves. If you have white oaks, set up near them when they drop. The deer absolutely LOVE them. Hogs do too.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:53 am 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

Also, deer are more homebodies. You can generally pattern deer much easier than hogs. Deer also will avoid hogs. Whereas, hogs don't care where they live as long as it has food, water, cover. They'll go where they have the best food, cover, water and the least amount of pressure.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:18 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Spot on, Marty! Deer will leave corn for acorns, too, especially white oak. Here, we have white oak, red oak and pin oak. Pin oak is the most bitter and less eaten but hogs will eat whatever, lol. Our night hunting ends in Louisiana next Friday, but when it turns cooler, I can day hunt by slipping thru the woods looking for hogs. Killed a few that way, too. I just love being in the woods - that's me!

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:40 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Our regular does do their wandering and foraging thing, then show up right before the feeder goes off.

I think they have acorns for the main course and corn for dessert.

If the feeder has been empty for a few weeks, it may take awhile for them to get it on their schedule, but they do.

Pigs are about the same, if a feeder is running they will wander by pretty regular.

As to the OP, I'd bet they just relocated temporarily.

[ 9 posts ] 

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » CAMPFIRE CHAT