Forum    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » CAMPFIRE CHAT

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:04 am 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

troyo wrote:
Thanks for the info, Marty, I didn't know that about the suppressors & regular hunting loads. I was led to believe otherwise. Now glad that I didn't invest in one.

Troyo, suppressors do definitely make the shot quieter. Some suppressors are better than others. I think if you watch some youtube videos of guys shooting suppressors you'll see that most still wear hearing protection while shooting them. There are video's of guys testing the sound deadening effects of suppressors with meters to measure the decibel reduction shooting with a suppressor versus shooting without. You'll be surprised that even suppressed hunting loads still make a good amount of sound. It's more muffled and quieter, but that sonic boom from the bullet can't be avoided with hunting loads. I think that's one reason suppressed shooting of animals seems to confuse them a bit. They can't determine where the shot came from. So, they run where ever they feel like, instead of away from the shooter.

My friend with the suppressors has them on his home defense AR. They definitely make it much safer to shoot inside of a building, as far as the noise and concussion go. Firing off an AR indoors is pretty dang loud, even with hearing protection. With a suppressor, no problems.

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:26 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Good info!!!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:16 pm 

My suppressed 308 is a S&W MP10. The sound of the action on a suppressed MSR is almost loud as the suppressed report of the rifle.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:15 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Just to add a bit of information. Measured in 'C' weighted, flat all bands: Average speech runs 60~ 70 dB. A loud dance floor is about 110 dB. The threshold of pain is 120 dB. The blast wave or sonic shock wave from a 12 ga. shotgun at 10 feet 90 degrees from the muzzle hits 150 dB peaks (250 Hz was the widest peak.) 'A' weighted is on the same curve as the human ear and tapers down from 750 Hz down toward 125 Hz. The above mentioned 150 dB C weighted 250 Hz sound would sound like a 110 dB A weighted sound to a person or about 40 dB lower than it actually is.

Last time I checked, a suppressor will reduce muzzle blast sound between 20 to 30 dB C weighted.

The "crack" or sound of a supersonic bullet (> 1,000 fps +/-) is about 140~ 145 dB C weighted (measured about 4 ft 90 degrees from bullet's path.) This sound is usually a higher frequency that attenuates faster than lower frequencies. These higher frequencies are harder to use to determine 'direction' from to an untrained ear.

'Muzzle blast' usually contains lower frequencies which carry further and are less directional than higher frequencies.

Suppressors reduce sound by reducing the speed of the flow of burning propellant gases before they meet the open atmosphere. This appears to work a little better on the lower frequencies than on the higher frequencies. (The impact of these gases on internal baffles also tends to act like a muzzle break in reducing recoil. This reduction may be as much as 50% of a well designed muzzle break.)

The above is why a modern sporting rifle's action cycling may sound louder than the muzzle blast of a subsonic round if you are over 20 yards away.

(From 15 years running a Class I medical audiological repair/ calibration lab, testing for LEO and being a shooter.)

Semper Fi,

Tom

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » CAMPFIRE CHAT