Forum    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » CAMPFIRE CHAT

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:02 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

In Louisiana, we have until Aug. 31 to night hunt, but the hogs have moved so far back in the swamp it takes an effort to get there, and when it's 90 degrees at 10 pm, & you sweat just sitting on the stand, the result is you see nothing. Got up to 104 last 2 days. Can day hunt when it cools some in Sept.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:07 am 
GOLD
GOLD

I don't blame you. I only go to the woods in the summer to do seasonal work like spray herbicide. Other than that I don't go out there until it's cooler.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:24 am 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

Yea, it gets hot out there. Ya gotta hydrate, and be careful. The hogs still gotta eat, drink and live. Water becomes more important during the hot months. I used to hunt a ranch up near Post where during the heat of the summer, at it's driest time, I could find hogs lounging near the few stock tanks that had water. I could find them there most anytime of day. One year it was so dry up there that only two of the twenty seven tanks had water. The hogs were poor that year. I killed a few, and every one of them were covered in parasites. They were crawling with bugs on them. It was a bad year that year.

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:40 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

I know where they're holed up at, but to get there I would be soaking wet with sweat. I love to hunt, but there's no way to disguise that much BO. So dry the creek's down so low can't get my pirogue down it - took chainsaw & cut some logs but got to be too much. Just gotta wait on rain

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:40 am 

I came across a similar situation this summer. It was necessary to change the location only at night when the heat subsided. At such a temperature it is important not to pick up parasites, so everything should be disinfected. But sometimes it takes a lot of alcohol to make a stock, the home distiller helps to assure https://stills-moonshine.com/ That's why this year though it was bad, but it's not for long)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:33 pm 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

radiON6 wrote:
I came across a similar situation this summer. It was necessary to change the location only at night when the heat subsided. At such a temperature it is important not to pick up parasites, so everything should be disinfected. But sometimes it takes a lot of alcohol to make a stock, the home distiller helps to assure https://stills-moonshine.com/ That's why this year though it was bad, but it's not for long)

Down here along the coast alcohol comes in REAL handy during emergencies like hurricanes. From disinfecting a wound, to clean up, to bartering with your neighbor. I stock up on both drinking alcohol and rubbing alcohol before a hurricane. Same thing for bleach. Stock up on that stuff. It's in high demand during and after hurricanes.

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:52 am 
GOLD
GOLD

I try to keep stocked up too in case of a hurricane. Don't get too many up here in Ft. Worth but you never know. My stock runs lowest Sunday mornings, from a different type of hurricane.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:02 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

Pigs don't sweat. so they will stay by water/ mud when it gets hot and feed when it's the cooler part of the day. They have to eat to stay alive, so they eat year round.

If you can hunt over a feeder, use a spinner type feeder and offer corn. They will come long distances to eat. (The sound of the spinner is a dinner bell they learn to visit.) Set the feeder time 1 hr before dark and 1 hr after Sun rise if you can't night hunt. The young ones in a sounder will pull the sows to the corn.

Pigs acclimate to human presence. That's why they sometimes raid yards. They get used to hay farmers- I have a relative who's killed most of his pigs while driving his tractor while cutting hay. (His max range is about 25 yds.) Mow the yard in an old T-shirt and leave the nasty T-shirt by your stand area so the hogs will get used to it. Use the wind to your advantage. My seasonal winds are Summer wind from the South and Winter wind from the North. Position your stand or blind to have the wind blow into your face from the piggie area.

Use a game cam on your feeder area or trail to see what time the pigs come by. When they're in your area, they'll be on a time table for corn. Check the game cams weekly or every 3 days to start with and reduce wasted time. Sounders will come and go, depending upon pressure. Boars will follow the sounders looking for a chance to mate.

Hunting pressure will move the hogs out of the area for a while. Not all surrounding neighbors hunt at the same time or the same way. From experience, I've seen a sounder move out for up to 3 weeks before returning to a feeder surrounded by small farms and houses. When you start a feeder in a new area, run short spins just before dark, around midnight and just after dawn. When the pigs start visiting, cut the midnight spin off (unless you want to hunt at that time.)

Add screws or such to secure/ lock the lid to the feeder to make it squirrel and racoon proof. They will try to get inside the feeder storage when they find the feeder. (They are very good at what they do.)

Just some thoughts on the original post. :)

Semper Fi,

Tom

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:04 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Thanks, Tom. I had actually thought of leaving an old sweaty shirt by the stand just to see if they would get used to it - I KNOW that deer will, farmers use all kinds of human scent to scare them away, urine, cut hair, scarecrows, clothes, you name it, deer will get used to it - (not talking big bucks here) so I wonder about hogs, too.

[ 9 posts ] 

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » CAMPFIRE CHAT