Forum    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » CAMPFIRE CHAT

Forum rules

:arrow: You agree "NOT" to post any disrespectful, abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated content.
:arrow: *No Advertising

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:41 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Although I've killed a few hogs, maybe 40-50 since I started hunting, I'm just now really trying to find the "ins and outs" of it. In short, I still don't know a lot, & was just wondering what is considered a trophy in the hog world. If it's weight, I would like to know the minimum that qualifies, and if its tusk length, the same with that - thanks.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:18 am 
DIAMOND+
DIAMOND+

There is a record book or trophy boars. You can read all about their criteria here: http://wwtworldrecords.com/

IN my own experience I would say that any boar over 300lbs would be a trophy. Some of the biggest boars I've seen actually had short tusks due to them being broken during fighting.

http://www.feederlights.com/
The BEST HOG HUNTING LIGHTS.
http://www.inheatscents.net/
The BEST HOG HUNTING SCENTS.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:51 am 
GOLD
GOLD

To me, any dead hog is a trophy. I don't consider a single hog my best. My "trophy" was the night I got 4 in about 5 minutes. When killing hogs it's quantity not quality.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:59 am 
SILVER
SILVER

mley1 wrote:
There is a record book or trophy boars. You can read all about their criteria here: http://wwtworldrecords.com/

IN my own experience I would say that any boar over 300lbs would be a trophy. Some of the biggest boars I've seen actually had short tusks due to them being broken during fighting.

Thanks. I will definitely look at that website. I killed one that weighed 300 but it was a sow - will have to keep hunting for a boar that size, lol.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:15 pm 
HONORED
HONORED

If you kill a pregnant sow with 10 babies inside of her, you got a trophy kill. We hunt, yes, but in order to maintain a zero population growth we need to kill 70 percent of the pigs every year.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:28 pm 
FOUNDER
FOUNDER

Trophy is defined by the hunter who shoots it and be danged to any who may argue it! :shifty:
Many things may determine a trophy. It may be a super smart sow that has outsmarted you hunt after hunt. You put a plan together and bag that sow, it's a trophy (a personal accomplishment or goal).
A first kill, no matter the size or sex can well be considered a trophy to the person who bagged it.

Some hunters may be lucky to go hunting 1 or 2 times a year, any kill is a personal accomplishment worthy to be proud of.
My first elk remains my prized trophy even though it was nothing special to most, it was special to me. I've shot bigger and better but none were more rewarding than that first bull elk. Years of effort and hard knocks were rewarded with some well made plans and better gear.
My biggest hog, both weight and teeth was left to the buzzards and yotes. I was proud of it but it was just another hog at the time.
The property owner, 2 days after I shot it, was out trying to cut the head off that rotten carcass. He said he never seen such a beast and had to have it. :o
Trophy :?: :idea: is what you define it to be.
When you post a photo of your trophy, many may have one bigger, but that doesn't mean it was more rewarding or they worked harder than you did to earn it.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:07 pm 
SILVER
SILVER

Tex, I like that response - it makes sense to me because in my experiences hunting, as u said, sometimes a "lesser" can be a trophy in its own right. Thank you for bringing that point to light!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:31 am 
SILVER
SILVER

Gary Rapp wrote:
To me, any dead hog is a trophy. When killing hogs it's quantity not quality.

Actually, what Gary said above.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:33 am 
SILVER
SILVER

TEXASBOARS wrote:
Trophy is defined by the hunter who shoots it and be danged to any who may argue it! :shifty:
Many things may determine a trophy. It may be a super smart sow that has outsmarted you hunt after hunt. You put a plan together and bag that sow, it's a trophy (a personal accomplishment or goal).
A first kill, no matter the size or sex can well be considered a trophy to the person who bagged it.

Some hunters may be lucky to go hunting 1 or 2 times a year, any kill is a personal accomplishment worthy to be proud of.
My first elk remains my prized trophy even though it was nothing special to most, it was special to me. I've shot bigger and better but none were more rewarding than that first bull elk. Years of effort and hard knocks were rewarded with some well made plans and better gear.
My biggest hog, both weight and teeth was left to the buzzards and yotes. I was proud of it but it was just another hog at the time.
The property owner, 2 days after I shot it, was out trying to cut the head off that rotten carcass. He said he never seen such a beast and had to have it. :o
Trophy :?: :idea: is what you define it to be.
When you post a photo of your trophy, many may have one bigger, but that doesn't mean it was more rewarding or they worked harder than you did to earn it.

What the boss said right there. The trophy is what you want it to be. Part of the hard work you put into the hunt, makes it a trophy.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:52 pm 
BRONZE
BRONZE

I hunt feral swine for control of damage they cause and for meat. As I understand it, the 'native' species boars around here top out between 300 to 400 lbs. If they have some domestic bred into them, they can get bigger. If they're feral domestic, I'm not sure just how big they can get as some breeds are really huge. I'd consider a 'trophy' to be a large domestic swine with nice round hams, lots of fat and looking like a feed lot porker. Or, it could be wearing a golden Burger King crown and wearing a purple cloak. This last one would make a nice mount if the cape wasn't damaged. Just my opinion... :)

Semper Fi,

Tom

[ 10 posts ] 

Board index » MEMBERS IN THE FIELD » CAMPFIRE CHAT